What's new

Apple Offers Apology and Battery Replacements for $29

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple issues apology for slowed down battery issue.JPG

AppleInsider reports today that Apple has responded to the controversy about its slowing down of older iPhones in order to head off performance problems by apologising and also offering out-of-warranty battery replacements for just $29. The company will also issue a software update in the new year to offer more information about a device’s battery health.

The $29 battery replacement offer, which represents a saving of $50 from the usual $79 fee, is offered to anyone with an iPhone 6 or later with a battery that needs replacing. The offer will begin to roll out in late January 2018, and should be fully available worldwide by December 2018.

Here’s the apology that Apple published on its official website:

“We know that some of you feel Apple has let you down. We apologize. There’s been a lot of misunderstanding about this issue, so we would like to clarify and let you know about some changes we’re making…Our goal has always been to create products that our customers love, and making iPhones last as long as possible is an important part of that.”

The lengthy open letter also explains exactly “how batteries age,” and how to prevent “unexpected shutdowns.”

Source: Apple apologizes for iPhone slowdown controversy, will reduce out-of-warranty battery replacement to $29

Of course the conspiracy theorists that are busy suing Apple will only see this as more proof that Apple is still trying to hide an organized program of planned obsolesccnce. Conspiracy theorists, by the very nature of their beliefs, will not accept anything that disproves their conspiracy theory.

Conspiracy theorists or not, we are happy that Apple will now offer battery replacement at a fair cost.

Im done with apple after 6 years or so. Got a pixel 2 xl and Im over the moon. Good bye Apple for betrayal

I must admit that when I phoned up yesterday apple support to permanently delete my apple ID, I was a bit emotional. After all those Iphones I had... IOS 11 however destroyed my battery life and the throtling put a final nail into the coffin.
I couldnt use my phone as before the update. So had to look for a new phone. ÂŁ1000 price tag was never an option..
So went to google and so far everything good. I had to learn how to master Oreo but it didnt take long.
As for my picel 2 xl...
I really like the oled displey sharpness, battery lasts for two days, it is very fast ( 4GB RAM ) and the control center is on another level compared to ios!! The CS was one of the points that made me to decide. You turn off ( not just disconnect) from wifi,BT and very importsntly you can turn on and off location services by one click! You can utilize so much in the phone. Shape of icons, their size, fonts, you can have icons wherever you want, they are not alligned one after the other( handy if want to see your wallpaper) & so much more
The rapid battery charge is brilliant.
Oh, and the camera? The best of all phones on the market.
You can record in 4k 60 fps..the way you take panoramatic pictures is sensational!
Also I really like that Im not forced to have face recognition, the phone does not create albums that I dont want. No places, faces, location etc....Just albums you want and the folder names you choose.
I really like I dont need to use itunes or so...just plug in the superfast usb C and copy from folder to folder.
To end this...you get lots lots of freedom for much less money.
PS: now when I was reading that apple intensionally slowed down phones WITHOUT GIVING their loyal customers CHOICE made me very angry at first, but hey ho, Im happy now without them

Does anyone know if a similar offer is being made for iPad owners that were impacted by iOS 11?

Does anyone know if a similar offer is being made for iPad owners that were impacted by iOS 11?
No. This power management rolled out to iPhone 6 and newer, not to the iPad. So if your battery is affected, it’s not because of Apple’s influence.

Ok thanks. I didn’t note any impacts to my iPhone 7 with iOS 11 but did with my iPad. Appreciate the quick response.

Which iPad do you have? The older it is the more it will be affected by newer technology in iOS. Check what is using most of your battery and you can do things like stopping background updating, shutting off location services etc.

Go to settings, battery and you should see the list populate for previous... hey, my iPad on 11.2.1 isn't showing... oh it's ok, I'm at a full charge [emoji28]

Well lookie here, at 82% my X doesn't show the apps using the battery either. Has something changed?

Im done with apple after 6 years or so. Got a pixel 2 xl and Im over the moon. Good bye Apple for betrayal
That’s fine not sure why you come to our forum if you have not owned an iPhone for 6 years. Like cars you have a choice you made yours we made ours.

I think you misunderstood my message. For 6 years continously I owned an iphone. Iphone 3g,4,5,6... tyerefore im on this forum m8

A couple of questions. This Apple battery deal is probably World wide yes.
Does one have to make an appointment?
Or is it while you wait? I need to drive close by in a few months and am curious. Thanks team