What's new

iPhone 4S Specs

I was ready, actually anxious, to dump ATT and move back to Verizon the day the new iPhone came out. The iPhone was what got me to switch to ATT in the first place, but the service is lousy. So it was the new iPhone, 4G or LTE, combo that I was waiting for. What happened to LTE? Really disappointed. ATT service is so bad and I have been dealing with it for 2 years now. I am going to have to change carriers, but it looks like I will be moving to LTE Android based phones. Really disappointed that Apple didn't find a way to plug LTE into this new phone.

Don't blame Apple for the cell phone industries rushed to market new standard. Manufactures of the chips were not giving enough time to create a single chip solution. And Apple is smarter than the rest of the phone industry by not rushing it.

Memory/Storage

Apple has increased the memory (RAM) of the iPhone 4S to 1GB. This should allow it to run more applications simultaneously and improve speed.
Storage options will include 16GB, 32GB and 64GB, the latter for the first time in an iPhone.

Size/Weight:
Height: 4.5 inches (115.2 mm)
Width: 2.31 inches (58.6 mm)
Depth: 0.37 inch (9.3 mm)
Weight: 4.9 ounces (140 grams)

Cellular/Wireless:

World phone
UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz);
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)[SUP]4[/SUP]
802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)

Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology

Assisted GPS
Digital compass
Wi-Fi
Cellular

Display:

Retina display

3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display
960-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi
800:1 contrast ratio (typical)
500 cd/m2 max brightness (typical)
Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating on front and back
Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously

Camera/Video/Photos

8-megapixel camera
Autofocus
Tap to focus
Face detection in still images
LED flash
Video recording, HD (1080p) up to 30 frames per second with audio
Video stabilization Front camera with VGA-quality photos and video at up to 30 frames per second
Photo and video geotagging

Power/Battery:

Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter
Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 14 hours on 2G (GSM)
Standby time: Up to 200 hours
Internet use: Up to 6 hours on 3G, up to 9 hours on Wi-Fi
Video playback: Up to 10 hours
Audio playback: Up to 40 hours

Audio Playback:

Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV
User-configurable maximum volume limit

TV/Video:

AirPlay Mirroring to Apple TV support at 720p Video mirroring and video out support: Up to 1080p with Apple Digital AV Adapter or Apple VGA Adapter (adapters sold separately)
Video out support at 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable (cables sold separately)
Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

For all the haters, I will be pre-ordering my iPhone 4s on 10/7. You all just want a facelift so when you buy it everyone else can tell its the new iphone and the extra attention will help your superiority complex. The iPhone 4 form-factor is sexy and with the added hardware/features will again be the best mobile phone out. Have fun with Android or Windows Mobile. IOS will always be superior.

-slimshotty

Memory/Storage

Apple has increased the memory (RAM) of the iPhone 4S to 1GB. This should allow it to run more applications simultaneously and improve speed.

-slimshotty

Please post a link to a APPLE document that states the iPhone 4S has 1GB of on board RAM for program execution. Otherwise THAT is a guess on your part, not a fact.

Does anyone have any information on the max call volume db (not signal strength) for earpiece and/or speaker for the 4s?

Thanks!

I am betting it is exactly the same as the iPhone 4. Apple doesn't generally tweak things like that due to the self governing laws concerning ear drum protection.

Do we know what the max db is on the 4, then? The 3 isn't loud enough for my 90yo dad, my 3GS is better... If the 4s is louder, we might get him that one... If not, I'll just pass him the 3GS when I upgrade.

I agree with the above statement about the user complex. I guess we all like pulling out our idevices while at attending a android convention. I would've loved to pull one out of my pocket to be like "look at me now"

Are these speeds available on all carriers? Or is this HSDPA specific to AT&T?

This a GSM (AT&T is GSM, Verizon & Sprint are CDAM) only feature as far as I can tell based on the tech data given out by Apple so far.

I would like to assume that the Processor is clocked at 1Ghz since its the same that is found in the iPad 2.

This is what I guessed also, but that would make 200mhz slower on each core than a Galaxy S2.. Doesnt seem like Apple to slip so far behind.

This is what I guessed also, but that would make 200mhz slower on each core than a Galaxy S2.. Doesnt seem like Apple to slip so far behind.

You can clock a Glaxay S2 at 2.0 Ghz and it can still be slower than an A5 clocked at 800 MHZ. Android is NOT by its very nature a native code compiled OS. Which means it has to deal with the overhead of the Dalvik Virtual Machine. Where as iOS is 100% native at all times.

Apple doesn't have to play "keep up with the Jones clock rate". Simply put iOS is faster because it has 30 to 40% less overheard and baggage.