What's new

iPhone 4S bricked by removing battery

iPhoneFlow

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

I was exploring my 4S and removed the battery. I forgot to put the grounding clip back on and couldn't figure out why it was searching for service. I restored my phone without the grounding clip, then realized that I had not put the grounding clip back on, and now I'm stuck in restore mode with error (-1). It seems to do the whole restore, but some little thing is wrong.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Im using a mac, im not sure about DFU mode or any programs that may clear the error. If you think one of those things are the solution, im all ears.

Put it through a DFU restore and see if it works. You can try using a custom IPSW after if restoring it To a stock IPSW doesn't work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

Never done either of those things so ill hunt through the forums for instructions. Thanks for your reply

I found your DFU for dummies! thanks. Also, i'm downloading the file ipsw. I'm curious what i'm supposed to do with it once it's downloaded. Would you please expand on that? thanks

Once you've downloaded the IPSW, put your device into DFU mode. Then open up iTunes, go to your iPhone's profile. Since you're on a Mac, you'll need to hold Command and click Restore. This will allow you to browse for an IPSW file. Point it to the IPSW that you've downloaded and let it restore.

omg thanks. ok ive been trying for the past 30 minutes, im still currently trying. Ive just plugged it into the wall charger. Held for 10 / 5 home button interval. Screen remained blank so i plugged that into macbook, and my computer ONLY prompts me to restore, but it does every time already. Its never not prompted. It does a full bar restore, then I get the (-1) error. I phone 4s and with latest iphone itunes download

$Screen Shot 2013-02-17 at 11.14.53 AM.jpg

keep getting -1~ hardware error i think, but all that i did was remove the battery once, while forgetting to put on ground clip, restoring, then putting on ground clip, now stuck in perma freakkin restore modeeee AHHHH !!!! i went out and bought one like 3 days later!!!

i feel like itss brickkked, and its under warrenty... double shameeee........
\]]\

isell repair tools.

How do you access the ipsw file? i dont have the iphone options button appearing on the top right hand later version itunes menu... all i get is that previous View attachment 11303man i hate that screen~!

Plug your device into your computer. Put it into DFU mode. iTunes will say it's in recovery mode, but as long as your device is plugged in to iTunes and the screen is pitch black, you're fine. If you're on iTunes 11, you'll need to show the side bar. Click on the little icon on the top left, then click "Show Menubar". Then click on "View" and click on "Show Side Bar" or something like that. That will give you a taskbar on the left side of iTunes. Click on your iPhone, hold command and click on Restore, point it to the IPSW, and let it restore.

$Screen Shot 2013-02-17 at 11.33.05 AM.jpgthis showed up but i still cant click the iophone in the top left corner

(** im trying to dfu on a 3meter usb sync lol

am i supposed to pre install this ipsw file? ive downloadit but didnt open it DUH!!

ok the install is happening and the screen is was blacked out, the apple just appeared :DDDD..::: i could be doing pages of messages critiquing this whole thing bahH! last time i used the stopwatch on my iphone. probably made all the difference from trying to do this in my head!

count to 10 i mean. and im high. lolllol silly iphones la la la another 6 minute restore sessoin!!!