What's new

iPhone 4S Battery Life? - Screenshots

eddieg said:
Your stats are false your phone has been pluged in since last full charge what you posted means nothing.

They actually look pretty realistic to me.

Your stats are false your phone has been pluged in since last full charge what you posted means nothing.

How can you be so sure???

I put my phone on charge last night. It had been almost 2 days since I had charged it and I still had 29% battery life. That's with quite few calls and texts and a bit of data usage....ie, Facebook.

Not everyone has a crappy battery in their 4S!

How can you be so sure???

I put my phone on charge last night. It had been almost 2 days since I had charged it and I still had 29% battery life. That's with quite few calls and texts and a bit of data usage....ie, Facebook.

Not everyone has a crappy battery in their 4S!

Look at his screen shot it says phone has been pluged in since last full charge so you cant go by those stats!

NewdestinyX said:
Incorrect. Read post#12. He's correct.

That does not necessarily qualify as "conditioning" though. That just means that after a few charges, the battery will give a full charge. That's not conditioning because you're going to have to do that anyways. Nickel batteries need conditioning because they are memory-based and won't perform well without it. Don't believe everything you read, sir.

I do not want this to turn into a debate. Just stating facts and people need to get the idea of conditioning a li-ion battery out of their heads. One reason devices have these batteries now is because there is no condition period.

Last edited:
Guys. Battery threads are banned. Be careful you may get a warning. I already have two. No more battery threads

My bad, I plugged in to my computer for a couple minutes to remove some pictures. I don't think it got too much charge in that time though. I'm still very pleased with the battery life. I ran my phone down to 20% charge, I wanted to see how long it would take to get to 100%. It took just over two hours to hit 100%.

sekelani said:
Guys. Battery threads are banned. Be careful you may get a warning. I already have two. No more battery threads

What do you mean by "battery threads" and why are they banned?

That does not necessarily qualify as "conditioning" though. That just means that after a few charges, the battery will give a full charge. That's not conditioning because you're going to have to do that anyways. Nickel batteries need conditioning because they are memory-based and won't perform well without it. Don't believe everything you read, sir.

I do not want this to turn into a debate. Just stating facts and people need to get the idea of conditioning a li-ion battery out of their heads. One reason devices have these batteries now is because there is no condition period.

I decided to come out of retirement for just this one post because your level of ignorance is beyond appalling.

Let me make this VERY CLEAR to you. You don't have a CLUE. You read one thing about one type of Lithium-Ion battery and you think you understand the whys to EVERYTHING related to that battery? You couldn't be more wrong.

So let me educate you so you stop posting like you have a clue when you clearly don't.

Lithium-Ion batteries if you REMOVE all protection circuits and the device it is powering from the equation, then and ONLY THEN does the battery itself need no "CONDITIONING".

No one is going to argue that point because it is a CHEMICAL FACT.

But, and here is the kicker, since batteries are USELESS in that configuration lets now deal with the reality of why "conditioning" is 100% needed.

All *NIX based phones, that means all iOS and Android handsets, require the ability to determine the charge. This ability requires that the lithium-ion cell be loaded to determine the voltage potential. This "charge check" is a huge battery drain. To limit the number of times the battery is tested, the OSes of all *NIX based phones require that you find both the FULL and DISCHARGED voltages of the battery. This allows the phones to find the percentage of charge remaining based on fewer samples and a curve fitting algorithms.

Now that means for the OS itself to know the data, you have to "CONDITION" the battery by discharging it to the point the device turns itself off and then a full recharge. This data sampling HAS TO BE DONE at least once every 60 charges but it is recommend you do it at least every 30 charges.

To further stress this point that you HAVE TO CONDITION a lithium-ion battery in a *NIX based phone, a lithium-ion battery is only rated for 300 (I am using the lowest factory published number here) 0 to 100% charge cycles and still retain 80% capacity based on the ORIGINAL first level charge when the battery was made. So guess what? If the makers of the batteries say "the battery is only good for 300 deep cycle charges", that means for your *NIX based phone to show the PROPER PERCENTAGE OF CHARGE you have to "CONDITION" the battery so that the OS knows what the bottom and top of the charge is so that the curve fit program can relay the data to the user of the device.

By now you are going "BUT BUT BUT BUT you said it is a chemical fact". Why yes I did state that. But the word conditioning has nothing to do with the chemical state of the battery. It has to do with the APPLICATION of the battery under a GIVEN condition (Notice what I just did there? I used the word condition in more than one context. I hope you get the hint).

Oh by the way, my explanation is why Apple has the "how to condition the battery for better life" on its website. Go figure!

I am now going back to retirement. And I truly hope the next time someone posts something along the lines of "Lithium-Ion batteries don't need to be conditioned" you will point them right here. So that the ignorance of the statement can be removed.

I think that anyone with a new iPhone can test out their batteries, and if not satisfied, they can return the phone within 30 days to the place of purchase or use the one-year warranty from Apple. That should be quite simple and resolve most battery issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to come out of retirement for just this one post because your level of ignorance is beyond appalling.

Let me make this VERY CLEAR to you. You don't have a CLUE. You read one thing about one type of Lithium-Ion battery and you think you understand the whys to EVERYTHING related to that battery? You couldn't be more wrong.

So let me educate you so you stop posting like you have a clue when you clearly don't.

Lithium-Ion batteries if you REMOVE all protection circuits and the device it is powering from the equation, then and ONLY THEN does the battery itself need no "CONDITIONING".

No one is going to argue that point because it is a CHEMICAL FACT.

But, and here is the kicker, since batteries are USELESS in that configuration lets now deal with the reality of why "conditioning" is 100% needed.

All *NIX based phones, that means all iOS and Android handsets, require the ability to determine the charge. This ability requires that the lithium-ion cell be loaded to determine the voltage potential. This "charge check" is a huge battery drain. To limit the number of times the battery is tested, the OSes of all *NIX based phones require that you find both the FULL and DISCHARGED voltages of the battery. This allows the phones to find the percentage of charge remaining based on fewer samples and a curve fitting algorithms.

Now that means for the OS itself to know the data, you have to "CONDITION" the battery by discharging it to the point the device turns itself off and then a full recharge. This data sampling HAS TO BE DONE at least once every 60 charges but it is recommend you do it at least every 30 charges.

To further stress this point that you HAVE TO CONDITION a lithium-ion battery in a *NIX based phone, a lithium-ion battery is only rated for 300 (I am using the lowest factory published number here) 0 to 100% charge cycles and still retain 80% capacity based on the ORIGINAL first level charge when the battery was made. So guess what? If the makers of the batteries say "the battery is only good for 300 deep cycle charges", that means for your *NIX based phone to show the PROPER PERCENTAGE OF CHARGE you have to "CONDITION" the battery so that the OS knows what the bottom and top of the charge is so that the curve fit program can relay the data to the user of the device.

By now you are going "BUT BUT BUT BUT you said it is a chemical fact". Why yes I did state that. But the word conditioning has nothing to do with the chemical state of the battery. It has to do with the APPLICATION of the battery under a GIVEN condition (Notice what I just did there? I used the word condition in more than one context. I hope you get the hint).

Oh by the way, my explanation is why Apple has the "how to condition the battery for better life" on its website. Go figure!

I am now going back to retirement. And I truly hope the next time someone posts something along the lines of "Lithium-Ion batteries don't need to be conditioned" you will point them right here. So that the ignorance of the statement can be removed.

Gee, why don't you tell us what you REALLY think?? Lol