What's new

iOS 6 GM Battery Life Tested !!!!

No problem. Lets see what we can do.

1) There are two ways to setup GMail using iOS' built in email client. To get GMail to do Push mail, you have to follow these instructions - Set up Google Sync with your iOS device - Google Mobile Help - I used that link back in April of 2011 and have yet to have an issue.

2) GoDaddy is pop only unfortunately, which is going to be fetch only. The frequency at which you check is based on how important you determine the email is. I personally only set fetch to manual or check every hour. Remember, every time you open the email app it automatically checks all accounts, including push mail accounts. So if you are already checking the mail app for other reasons, you might be able to survive on manual fetch only. I do that with my Verizon Fios email account.

3) iCloud is pure push at its finest. Apple took full advantage of it the day iCloud was introduced.

4) 99% of the time Office Exchange accounts can be setup for Push without an admins assistance. I would recommend configuring it that way and then send a test email to confirm there are no issues.

5) See answer #1 ;)
Great! My GMail was already set up as an Exchange as per that web article you identified. So I have a freshly charged battery today. I have Push set to on. And in the Advanced Tab have iCloud, GMail and Work Exchange account set to Push. And my pop account set to Fetch. And Fetch set to 1 hour. Let's see how battery life goes with those settings.

One last question. When the open port for Push sees mail at the server end is the process of it coming to our phones battery intensive too? You made it sound like the open port does things effortlessly with no real battery power that would add drain. Am I understanding correctly? My work Exchange account has over 100 pieces a day it would need to Push to me. Will that volume of email alone on a true Push account drain battery?

Thanks again for your amazing input! This has bugged me since day 1.

Great! My GMail was already set up as an Exchange as per that web article you identified. So I have a freshly charged battery today. I have Push set to on. And in the Advanced Tab have iCloud, GMail and Work Exchange account set to Push. And my pop account set to Fetch. And Fetch set to 1 hour. Let's see how battery life goes with those settings.

One last question. When the open port for Push sees mail at the server end is the process of it coming to our phones battery intensive too? You made it sound like the open port does things effortlessly with no real battery power that would add drain. Am I understanding correctly? My work Exchange account has over 100 pieces a day it would need to Push to me. Will that volume of email alone on a true Push account drain battery?

Thanks again for your amazing input! This has bugged me since day 1.

Your last question is technically a trick question. Let me paraphrase it so you understand why.

"When does it become more economical, power wise, to turn off Push email and only fetch X times per day because of how many emails I get?"

That question would require a heck of a lot of testing that I am not in a position to do at this time. And to be blunt I doubt anyone has ever done proper testing to determine what that cut over point is. Now if I was put on the spot to hazard a guess, I would answer around 200 to 250. But I have nothing to back that up what-so-ever. That is just me guessing based on limited observations over the last 3.75 years of smart phone usage. So please take that guess with a huge amount of salt ;)

But you do pose a very interesting question. One that is worthy of proper testing. Now if I could only find someone to pay me to do that kind of testing :D

Your last question is technically a trick question. Let me paraphrase it so you understand why.

"When does it become more economical, power wise, to turn off Push email and only fetch X times per day because of how many emails I get?"

That question would require a heck of a lot of testing that I am not in a position to do at this time. And to be blunt I doubt anyone has ever done proper testing to determine what that cut over point is. Now if I was put on the spot to hazard a guess, I would answer around 200 to 250. But I have nothing to back that up what-so-ever. That is just me guessing based on limited observations over the last 3.75 years of smart phone usage. So please take that guess with a huge amount of salt ;)

But you do pose a very interesting question. One that is worthy of proper testing. Now if I could only find someone to pay me to do that kind of testing :D
Yeah. :) Good enough!! I will do my own testing. Starting today. Where I have my Push settings set right now and where I had them before (where there was a very palpable drain on battery when compared to simply turning PUSH off) is not that different.

The only real change in settings is having my pop account set to Fetch every hour instead of every 15 minutes. From your explanation - that alone - should make a pretty big difference in battery drain. In the past when I did testing and concluded PUSH, itself, was the culprit - I did have GMail set up properly to PUSH and had my work Exchange server, iCloud and GMail all set to Push in the Advanced Tab. So I'll report back at end of day. And even more importantly tomorrow I'll use my phone about the same and simply turn PUSH off - effectively setting everything to Manual. And we'll compare.

Thanks again for your awesome info! What a place this is!

Cherryhesh