What's new

HOW TO - Fix Recovery Loop following a downgrade

ld220 said:
I start up redsn0w and start the Install Cydia process, then before I know it the iphone is restarting as if everything worked.

That does not sound like redsn0w is running correctly AT ALL. There should be lots of verbose activitiy on the screen followed by the full screen pwnapple logo for quite a while... Are you SURE you set the properties on redsn0w correctly as laid out in my guide?

All,

first a BIG Thank You to f4780y and lman31 i was seriously doubting this could be done... but it can..

here are the step by step instructions.. (downgrade verizon to 4.2.8)
(i downgraded to 4.2.6 and i used a mac)

shut down itunes
make sure you have 4.2.8 and 4.2.6 firmware
redsnow 0.9.6rc19
either recboot or tinyumbrella

1. edit the hosts file and make sure gs.apple.com points to (74.208.105.171)

2. startup itunes (make sure this is a fresh start of itunes)

3. put phone into dfu mode (http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-jailbreaking-17/dfu-mode-dummies-16020/)

4. itunes popup will say your phone is in recovery mode..
(hit alt-restore and choose the 4.2.8 firmware)

5. this will get to about 60-75% and then will reboot and you will
have the itunes logo with the usb cable

6. startup redsnow and follow the onscreen instruction choose the 4.2.6 firmware and then on the next screen choose install cydia..

7. on the next screen it goes through the instructions to put the phone
into dfu mode, in step 3.. hold it down the home button until you see the firmware being written to the iphone (on the iphone screen) then you can release the home button (this is where i was previously messing up in that i was not holding it down long enough so i held it until the phone rebooted and the pineapple came up)

8. then you will see it reboot with the pineapple on the screen, when i got to the installing bundles section i let it sit for 5 minutes and then put the phone into dfu recovery mode..

then i used recboot to exit recovery mode..

you should be able to boot up now and you will see the cydia icon (happy..happy..joy...joy)

I am currently on 4.2.9, not jailbroken. I was on 4.2.8 with a jailbreak, but it's a new phone and I was not thinking, so when I saw the update firmware message, I hit OK. I'm also doing this on using my Macbook.

I used all the links in these posts to download 4.2.8, 4.2.6, redsn0w, etc. I have the latest version of Tiny Umbrella. I told Tiny Umbrella to save my SHSHs and 4.2.8 is showing up in the list.

I start the TSS server, open iTunes, tell it to restore to 4.2.8 and then it gets stuck with the 1013 error, so I click OK and open redsn0w.

In redsn0w, I point to 4.2.6, check install cydia, and wait. I see all the text showing up on my phone as it's installing. Then it eventually shows me the apple again like it's restarting and redsn0w says it's done. My iPhone then shows the restore screen again. I tell Tiny Umbrella to get me out of recovery and every time, it just goes back to the restore screen.

I have to leave for work in a bit, but if I have time when I get back tonight, I will give it another shot. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Quoting "ld220"

"I am currently on 4.2.9, not jailbroken. I was on 4.2.8 with a jailbreak, but it's a new phone and I was not thinking, so when I saw the update firmware message, I hit OK. I'm also doing this on using my Macbook.

I used all the links in these posts to download 4.2.8, 4.2.6, redsn0w, etc. I have the latest version of Tiny Umbrella. I told Tiny Umbrella to save my SHSHs and 4.2.8 is showing up in the list.

I start the TSS server, open iTunes, tell it to restore to 4.2.8 and then it gets stuck with the 1013 error, so I click OK and open redsn0w.

In redsn0w, I point to 4.2.6, check install cydia, and wait. I see all the text showing up on my phone as it's installing. Then it eventually shows me the apple again like it's restarting and redsn0w says it's done. My iPhone then shows the restore screen again. I tell Tiny Umbrella to get me out of recovery and every time, it just goes back to the restore screen.

I have to leave for work in a bit, but if I have time when I get back tonight, I will give it another shot. Thanks for the help."

as i mentioned in step 7, when i was putting the phone in dfu mode, i just held the home button for a long time after i released the power button...

In response to this new error we find ourselves experiencing, notcom has released a new version of TU which allows you to choose to update the iPhone4 baseband which will avoid the error.

ANYONE WHO RELIES ON A SOFT UNLOCK SOLUTION MUST STAY AWAY FROM THIS.

For anyone else that is not worried about preserving their baseband, you can use the new TinyUmbrella to avoid this recovery mode loop altogether when downgrading.

More details and the download here - The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella

I'm a total noob here. Just got a 4.2.9 iphone last week. I have no shsh blobs. Its a fresh phone. Is there anyway to down grade it if it's never been jailbroken? Am I totally hosed, and cannot downgrade, or jailbreak (untethered, of course)?

everything works perfect like described until the last step when i load TU.

My device is not showing in the left hand side.

I only see recent devices.. not my device?

clicking fix recovery does nothing.

downgrading 4.3.4 to 4.3.3

what will updating the baseband do? i am using a verizon iphone on the verizon network. will this affect me at all?

a big thanks to
f4780y
Super Moderator

i ran out of idea !!!!! b4 i found this

thanks a lot to this forum!!! :) :):)

Last edited:
I have been tooling around with this thing for HOURS. I tried to upgrade to iOS 5 beta 4, couldn't activate. So, I ran TU's TSS Server with my saved SHSH blobs to downgrade to 4.2.8. I COULD NOT, for the life of me, get this fixed. I tried this process MANY times with rc19, with b4. I changed some things in the host file (at this point, I'm not sure what did it) but I was finally able to restore to 4.2.8 and JB with Redsn0w using IPSW 4.2.6. I exited recovery mode with RecBoot and confirmed Cydia is installed.

Carrier settings updated, but am unable to get any cell service. Nothing. So... what to do now??

I have been tooling around with this thing for HOURS. I tried to upgrade to iOS 5 beta 4, couldn't activate. So, I ran TU's TSS Server with my saved SHSH blobs to downgrade to 4.2.8. I COULD NOT, for the life of me, get this fixed. I tried this process MANY times with rc19, with b4. I changed some things in the host file (at this point, I'm not sure what did it) but I was finally able to restore to 4.2.8 and JB with Redsn0w using IPSW 4.2.6. I exited recovery mode with RecBoot and confirmed Cydia is installed.

Carrier settings updated, but am unable to get any cell service. Nothing. So... what to do now??

I reperformed the JB with Redsn0w 0.9.8b4 and IPSW 4.2.6. The JB went much more smoothly this time! When it was re-JB'd my phone was activated. WHEW! What a marathon! Let's not do THAT again!

i finished my downgrade over a half hour and have been using tinyUmbrella v5.00.07 to fixrecovery43 and exit recovory both eppic failyers. the only thing i can think of is when i do fixrecovery43 error itunes.exe not found and ituneshelper.exe not found. how do i fix that. and if i cant how do i finish excaping recovery without jailbraking my ipod again. thats y i updated in the first place. or after i jailbrake with readsn0w is there a way i can unjailbrake it back to the original 4.3.3 even though 4.3.5 is now out?

Homage said:
i finished my downgrade over a half hour and have been using tinyUmbrella v5.00.07 to fixrecovery43 and exit recovory both eppic failyers. the only thing i can think of is when i do fixrecovery43 error itunes.exe not found and ituneshelper.exe not found. how do i fix that. and if i cant how do i finish excaping recovery without jailbraking my ipod again. thats y i updated in the first place. or after i jailbrake with readsn0w is there a way i can unjailbrake it back to the original 4.3.3 even though 4.3.5 is now out?

If you don't want to be jailbroken, you just install 4.3.5 and be done. You only need 4.3.3 if you want a jailbreak. Struggling to find a way to have stock 4.3.3 makes little sense, since 4.3.5 is just 4.3.3 with bug fixes.

ok ill refraiz it. i had it jailbroken with redsn0w and i was trying to put it back to stock so i can try the other ones and see which one i like best. iv tryed to jsilbrake 4.3.4 with greenpois0n but everything iv found is for 4.2.1. i have saved my shsh for 4.3.4 so i can grade back to it. this morning when i fixrecovery43 it didnt say the itunes errors but still didn't get me out of recovery.

Last edited: