What's new

HOW TO - Fix Recovery Loop following a downgrade

mylyf said:
does this sum up what i need to do or am i confusing something here?

Again, Thank You for your assistance..

Mylyf

That sounds OK, but afraid I am the wrong side of the pond to have access to a CDMA phone so can't offer any help on Verizon. Your logic is sound though! Good luck.

OK... So I tried this... Unfortunately it did not work.... Now my iPhone won't even restore... All that’s visible on my screen is the iTunes symbol and Plug... I have so far spent 5 hours on the phone with apple and still with no luck, for even plan phone abilities.. Does anyone know how to repair this issue??? During the process i was able to get as far as the loading of the pineapple, and as was told it did freeze. I held the power and home for 10 seconds... But tinyumbrella did not exit the recovery... In fact my phone has been there ever since.... """Please HELP!!"""

all,

no joy using the procedure above.. unable to get out of boot loop..

it looks like a new release is out as well.. 4.2.10..

arrrggggg.. very frustrating..

Thank You for all your help and i will keep trying..

Mylyf

All,

i am stuck at the "Installing Bundles" screen with the pineapple and the spinner..

it is not the " Installing Activation Bundles" i will let it sit here, but was wondering if there was a mistake in the operation name..?

Thank You
Mylyf

Silversting80 said:
OK... So I tried this... Unfortunately it did not work.... Now my iPhone won't even restore... All that’s visible on my screen is the iTunes symbol and Plug... I have so far spent 5 hours on the phone with apple and still with no luck, for even plan phone abilities.. Does anyone know how to repair this issue??? During the process i was able to get as far as the loading of the pineapple, and as was told it did freeze. I held the power and home for 10 seconds... But tinyumbrella did not exit the recovery... In fact my phone has been there ever since.... """Please HELP!!"""

How quickly did you reset when the jailbreak hung? I waited a few minutes. If you think you waited less, maybe give it a little longer...?

No definitely not a mistake. It should not hang at installing bundles. You are using rc19?

i just rechecked and it is rc19

arrrgggg... so close..

Thank You
Mylyf

mylyf said:
i just rechecked and it is rc19

arrrgggg... so close..

Thank You
Mylyf

Well, sorry about that. As I say, I can't check a CDMA phone, but lman31 reported success?

And confirm, you are only ticking "Install Cydia", nothing else? Don't enable any other bundle...

Last edited:
has anybody else figured out how to get this to work on the Verizon iPhone with 4.2.8/9 yet? I accidentally upgraded my firmware last week without thinking and I have had no luck trying to go back.

I just followed the steps here, but the process never hung and it keeps going back to the restore screen. This is like the 100th way I've tried to do this. Pretty soon I'm probably just going to give up and wait for a new jailbreak.

I saw that lman said he had success. lman, if you see this, would you mind posting the step by step of everything you did?

Trying to downgrade from 4.3.4 to 4.3.3 and iam in the damn itunes icon - cable screen.

Didnt worked here as well...

But the strange thing is that the pineapple didnt appeared, after all those letters it came back to the damn itunes icon - cable screen

=((((((

This is a copy, paste, and edit of f4780y's post geared toward 4.2.8 downgrade.

iPhone4 users are experiencing a recovery mode loop following a 4.2.8 downgrade which cannot be exited using the normal methods, such as TinyUmbrella's "Exit Recovery" option.

The following process has been proven to fix this problem, and has the added benefit of jailbreaking the device at the same time.

First you will need a copy of the latest (rc19) redsn0w jailbreak. This can be downloaded from here:
redsn0w_win_0.9.6rc19.zip for Windows - download link
redsn0w_mac_0.9.6rc19.zip for Mac OS X - download link

Next, you will need a copy of the 4.2.6 firmware. If you need to download it again, use our sticky here to source the right file - Official Apple IOS Firmware Download Links for iPhone

Finally, you should download the latest TinyUmbrella, if you are not already using, it from here - The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella

Windows7 and Vista users should set the compatibility properties for redsn0w.exe by right clicking on the EXE file, choosing "properties", switching to the Compatibility tab, and selecting "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)" and "Run this program as an administrator".

Go through the normal downgrade steps till you get the 1013 error. I used TU's TSS server for SHSH

Now launch redsn0w, select the IPSW file for 4.2.6, and follow the instructions. Make sure you set the "Install Cydia" item on the options screen.

The normal jailbreak process will now run on your iPhone, however THE PROCESS WILL HANG at the "Installing Activation Bundles" step. You should see the iPhone spinner in front of the pineapple. THIS IS OK.

You now need to reset the iPhone by holding power and home for 10 seconds.

The phone will now reboot and you will STILL be in recovery mode. DON'T PANIC!

Now, you can launch TinyUmbrella, click your iPhone in the list of devices, and press "Exit Recovery".

It WILL work this time. Your phone will reboot into an untethered jailbroken state.

Now you should have a fully functional downgraded and jailbroken iPhone which is no longer stuck in a recovery mode loop.

I am an iphone noob so I only have this one experience with downgrading. I followed directions and maybe just got lucky. Hope this helps you guys.

Mysterion said:
So we Verizon iPhone users can only downgrade to 4.2.6?

That's not what the post says. It's using 4.2.6 to jailbreak 4.2.8, but 4.2.8 is the OS installed on your phone.

If lman32 did this and was successful, then I suggest you very carefully follow it. It must be exact and precise.

Thanks for the responses, lman31 and f4780y. These are the exact steps that I followed, but it never hung at the Installing Activation Bundles part. Should I be seeing the spinner on my iphone, or on my computer? Either way, it's not happening.

I start up redsn0w and start the Install Cydia process, then before I know it the iphone is restarting as if everything worked. It always goes back to the iTunes icon and USB cable image on the screen though. (Like gaminy, I never see the pineapple either, unless I then start redsn0w again and tell it to boot in tethered mode...that never finishes either though, it just goes back to the restore screen again.)

I'm not sure what I'm missing here, or if lman was just insanely lucky, but if anyone else has any luck/suggestions, please let me know. Maybe I'll give this one last shot later today.

Last edited:
It honestly doesn't sound like you are following it right. We now have another forum member reporting success on Verizon with this method too, so it does work. I know you think you are, but please double check you have the details right for every stage...

You are restoring 4.2.8 THEN using 4.2.6 firmware to perform the redsn0w jailbreak, yes?