What's new

How to downgrade your iPhone4S, iPad2 or iPad3

I jailbroke when I was on 5.01 and accidentally updated when 5.1 come out do you think cydia auto saved my shsh blobs so I can downgrade?
If you were EVER jailbroken post-iOS5 your blobs are saved. I have never worried about saving blobs EVER and they've always been at Cydia waiting for me.

I was force to update to ios 5.1.1 my 4s was jailbroken at 5.0.1 but I don't have the ssh blobs for 5.0.1 is there any way for me to get them and if so how ??? And thank you

I was force to update to ios 5.1.1 my 4s was jailbroken at 5.0.1 but I don't have the ssh blobs for 5.0.1 is there any way for me to get them and if so how ??? And thank you
Since you were jailbroken at 5.0.1, Cydia has saved your blobs for you. Just use the tutorial in post 1 here but use the Remote SHSH option.

Jmills87 said:
Yes, but you can only downgrade to 5.1 so there's really no point since the upcoming jailbreak will likely work on both 5.1 and 5.1.1

Oh ok . I thought it was to downgrade to 5.0.1 on the iPad 3

The iPad3 launched with 5.1, there was never a 5.0.1 firmware available for that device unfortunately.
Oh. I thought you said this worked for ipad3 too. So this only works for iPad 2 and 4S people who accidentally upgraded to 5.1 or 5.1.1 or people who bought new 4S' with 5.1 already on it. Right?

No, it works on the iPad3, but since the iPad3 shipped with 5.1, you can only downgrade from 5.1.1 to 5.1 which is pointless. Also it won't work for people who bought a 4S with 5.1 preinstalled because it requires 5.0.1 SHSH blobs.

No, it works on the iPad3, but since the iPad3 shipped with 5.1, you can only downgrade from 5.1.1 to 5.1 which is pointless. Also it won't work for people who bought a 4S with 5.1 preinstalled because it requires 5.0.1 SHSH blobs.
Ok. So let me be succinct. The only people who would be "interested in this", from a ready to jailbreak immediately perspective, are all devices that had once been jailbroken at 5.0.1 (this excludes ipad3's and 4s' that came preinstalled with 5.1) and they accidentally (or to try it out) upgraded to 5.1 or 5.1.1. Is that an accurate statement?

The title of this thread, IMHO, gives sort of a false hope - too generally stated. :-/. The only reason I even entered this thread was for my iPad 3 thinking it could be downgraded to 5.0.1 for immediate Jailbreaking. The tutorial also ONLY gives instructions for pointing to 5.0.1. Hence my interest. But, of course, no iPad 3 people would have any 5.0.1 blobs.

All good.. It's just a waiting game now for the iPad 3. :)

Last edited:
Ok. So let me be succinct. The only people who would be "interested in this", from a ready to jailbreak immediately perspective, are all devices that had once been jailbroken at 5.0.1 (this excludes ipad3's and 4s' that came preinstalled with 5.1) and they accidentally (or to try it out) upgraded to 5.1 or 5.1.1. Is that an accurate statement?

Almost. In that you didn't have to have been jail broken before you moved up to iOS 5.1 or 5.1.1. It could be anyone that upgraded.

But, they have to have saved those 5.0.1 SHSH blobs - which is why this process won't work on devices that never had 5.0.1 installed.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

Almost. In that you didn't have to have been jail broken before you moved up to iOS 5.1 or 5.1.1. It could be anyone that upgraded.

But, they have to have saved those 5.0.1 SHSH blobs - which is why this process won't work on devices that never had 5.0.1 installed.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn
Well yes. The reason I stated "previously jailbroken" was that Cydia would have saved their blobs for them. I'll bet 98% of us, even faithful jail breaking enthusiasts that would know of TU, have never used TinyUmbrella to save their blobs ahead of an update and closing of a signing window - mainly because we're jailbroken all the time as soon as the untether comes out! For all practical purposes most people count on having their blobs saved automatically by Cydia from a current jailbreak.

But I like clarity - so thanks!

Last edited:

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

Pianoman is right.

You don't have to be on any currently signed iOS to save blobs for it. All you need to do is to be jailbroken.

My iPhone had 5.1 SHSH blobs before I ever installed 5.1.

Cydia *automatically* saves SHSH for the currently signed iOS version...regardless if you were on it or not.

I give it one week...maybe 2 and you will see SHSH blobs for 5.1.1 in Cydia's home page without ever being on 5.1.1.

The delay is because Saurik has to update the server to except the blobs for the newest firmware....like he always has.