What's new

Firmware version?

HUNTER1

Reaction score
I've jailbroke my 4s on 4.2.1 and I never restored or rejailbreak. Now my phone is showing version 5.1 (9A405). I would like to restore it but I'm afraid there's something wrong with the version showing, is this common and ok to restore using DFU method? thanks

The latest firmware version for the iPhone 4S is iOS 7.1.2 (publicly speaking). If you're using an older version of iTunes, then you won't see the 7.1.2 update. Update iTunes, backup your device, and restore your device afresh, then restore your backup.

Do I need to download the ipsw first and do DFU or just a straight restore from iTunes?

If it's jailbroken, it's best to place the device in DFU mode first. Though since you're way back on iOS 5 before the iOS update protocols on jailbreak utilities were implemented, you should be able to just click on the Restore button.

Ok thanks I'll try the straight out restore first, if that doesn't work, I'll do the DFU method. Also, I checked on my phone if there's new ailable update, it says it's up to date at 5.1. Why is it not showing the update availability? Although I do not do OTA.

Ok thanks I'll try the straight out restore first, if that doesn't work, I'll do the DFU method. Also, I checked on my phone if there's new ailable update, it says it's up to date at 5.1. Why is it not showing the update availability? Although I do not do OTA.

If your iTunes is not showing an update, chances are your iTunes is out of date, also.

Since you need the newest iTunes to run the newest iOS 7, may I suggest you update iTunes first, then upgrade your iOS.

Marilyn

It's the phone not showing update, it's been a while since I check with iTunes, but last time I remember it showed it needed update. I'll install the latest iTunes and proceed with the restore.

It's the phone not showing update, it's been a while since I check with iTunes, but last time I remember it showed it needed update. I'll install the latest iTunes and proceed with the restore.

OTA updates will only show the the next iOS threshold at most. Example would be that since you're on iOS 5, the max that Settings will show is iOS 6. Because iOS 6 is not being signed, Settings will show iOS 5 despite it also not being signed. If you go with the Settings OTA route, your device will either be unable to download the OTA firmware file, or you'll end up in a boot loop if you somehow manage to get the firmware file and manage to get Settings to perform the updating procedure. This would explain why you're seeing iOS 5 on your device itself.

Ok that explains it. I haven't done any restore OTA, because I've jailbroke since 3G and used iTunes to restore. The reason I haven't restore since I jailbroke 4.2.1 because I always ran into an error and took me a while to fix it. Now I really need to restore because all the apps are mostly require higher version than my phone has. I'll try to restore this weekend and hopefully gets it done.