What's new

Is there a way to upgrade to IOS 5.0.1 for a 4G and keep jailbreak or rejailbreak?

mongo549

Reaction score
Looking at Cydia it shows I have SHSH for 4.2.1, 4.3.3, 4.3.5, 5.0.1 and 5.1

The 4G iPhone is currently on version 4.2.1(BC148) and firmware 03.10.01

Is there a way for me to upgraded to 5.0.1 and keep or rejailbreak? Is this something I should even want to do?

I've read the instructions in the tutorials above but am confused on how to do this if it is possible. Can someone please explain? I jailbroke the current version with greenpois0n (sp?)

I appreciate your help!!!!!

BTW - I use AT&T as my carrier so I'm not currently interested in unlock but may be later.

You can create a custom 5.0.1 firmware with Redsn0w and stitch your 5.0.1 blobs into it in order to restore 5.0.1 and then you can re-jailbreak with Redsn0w.

Thanks for your quick reply. A couple more questions - Do I need to have the most recent version of iTunes downloaded? I believe I'm on 10.1 now. I'm currently using iBlacklist to intercept certain calls for me, is there a way to keep the numbers from that database and not have to repurchase the app from Cydia? If you have any other potential gotcha's you would like to share they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Yes, you will have to update iTunes to be able to restore 5.0.1. You can use PKGBackup or something similar from Cydia to back up your Cydia installations, but you will never need to repurchase the apps, they are tied to your account for life.

You can create a custom 5.0.1 firmware with Redsn0w and stitch your 5.0.1 blobs into it in order to restore 5.0.1 and then you can re-jailbreak with Redsn0w.

Okay, i'm doing something wrong. I copied my SHSH blobs to my Win PC but must not know how to stich them into the IPSW. Where do I get the IPSW? What Redsn0w option do I use? I've jailbroken several phone but this is the first time I've had to go this deep. I appreciate help anyone can provide.

When I try to stitch it with Redsn0w I get "Unable to Parse file" "Are you sure its an IPSW file?" It shows with the little box and states it's an apple firmware file. Please help.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I understand IPSW is for apple firmware and I even downloaded the correct version from the link provided in the sticky post above. However when I run Redsn0w to stich in my SHSH it gives me the error that it doesn't think it's an iPSW. What am I doing wrong? I understand the files from the link have a .zip on the end so I saved with a .ipsw instead and it creates the file with the little apple box ane states it's apple firmware in the properties. Someone please help me determine what I'm doing wrong.

mongo549 said:
Thanks for the reply. I understand IPSW is for apple firmware and I even downloaded the correct version from the link provided in the sticky post above. However when I run Redsn0w to stich in my SHSH it gives me the error that it doesn't think it's an iPSW. What am I doing wrong? I understand the files from the link have a .zip on the end so I saved with a .ipsw instead and it creates the file with the little apple box ane states it's apple firmware in the properties. Someone please help me determine what I'm doing wrong.

Download it from Mozilla FireFox.

Sounds like your using Internet Explorer?