What's new

Clearing app cahe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought there was a way to do this and I thought I have before but now I can't find where at in my settings. So of there is a way can someone let me know. I went to the settings and went to twitter and didn't see a clear cache area. Thanks

I did a quick read of this thread. Perhaps I missed it but did anyone provide the Cydia app that clears cache?

mwhartman said:
I did a quick read of this thread. Perhaps I missed it but did anyone provide the Cydia app that clears cache?

CUC. Not in default repos. Google it.

mwhartman said:
Thanks Zig!

Yup. It's a Terminal script.

You will need MobileTerminal 520 something. I don't remember the actual version number, but it starts with 520. Only version that works in iOS 4 & 5.

I recently noticed that the Facebook app on my iPhone was increasing steadily in mb.

You can check in settings, general, usage to look at what your apps are taking up.

Basically i deleted the app and re downloaded it, and it returned to normal.
Long way around i know !

pianoman said:
I already understand that, Zig. You didn't understand my post. Again - please read carefully before responding.You are mistaken. I'm sorry. If you see a change in RAM it's from some other reason. There is ZERO correlation between the app switcher and RAM usage. You can disagree all you want but the lack of any connection between the app switcher and RAM is a matter of engineering and is an indisputable fact.

Now what "can" be happening is what Zig described - that by the time you check the RAM allocation another "paused" app in RAM closed down after its time allocation was up in paused mode. But any correlation would be pure coincidence.

I am so confused about what you are arguing with me about.

You say I'm right about everything I said except the "app switchers function" in itself is what this discussion was started on, but that is not correct.

The convo between me and you started when "you" told me about your theory about closing apps in the app switcher. Not using or how the app switcher works.

I am so confused about what you are arguing with me about.

You say I'm right about everything I said except the "app switchers function" in itself is what this discussion was started on, but that is not correct.

The convo between me and you started when "you" told me about your theory about closing apps in the app switcher. Not using or how the app switcher works.
Zig, it was only my concern to correct the misinformation you gave the poster in post #4. In that post you claimed that clearing the app switcher cleared or freed up some RAM. It does NOT. That's the only incorrect thing you claimed. Simple. In more recent posts you've said you understood that. In post #4 you did not know it - or if you did then you gave bad information to LaurenRae.

Last edited:
I just tested this by only having one app in the switcher checked ram then closed the app and gained 10mb in ram could you explain that please.
Eddie, most iPhone apps take way more than 10megs of RAM to operate. Even if I did believe the result of your test you're reporting I can tell you it had nothing to do with clearing the app switcher. Tell ya what. Load 15 apps up and then clear them an see what happens in the usage meter. You'll see I'm right then.

Ok, I think it is time to put this "agree to disagree but agree" conversation to rest. I just killed all the task in my iPhone and it is now rebooting. I am going to post some pictures that will show exactly what goes on and give you the "Technical Whys" behind what you are about to see.

This should be FUN! :D

Here is a quick and easy test.

See post #42 for the explination

Attachments

• $image-4015301318.jpg
    $image-4015301318.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 375
  • $image-4118430360.jpg
    $image-4118430360.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 370
  • $image-24047777.jpg
    $image-24047777.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
This is on a JB model. We are not all JB. So my question is, for a non JB iPhone how do we clear cache? Or can this not be done. If it can't be done. Why have apple allowed this?

iHolophyte

Grrr.... iPF on the iPhone post pictures differently than on the iPad. Lesson learned today.

But beyond that lets look at this factually.

The middle picture show 55.6% RAM FREE. That is the starting point right after a reboot and giving the phone 1 minute to settle into its normal mode of operation.

The first picture is after I launched Tiger Woods 2012 and got the point that I was at the tee ready to swing. Notice the RAM FREE is now down to 28.7%

The third picture is after I task killed it. Notice the FREE RAM is now 49.8%.

Now for the WHYS...

Every program has two major sections to it.

1) Code
2) Data

The code can be in one of three states:
1) Wired
2) Active
3) Inactive

The data can be in one of four states:

1) Wired
2) Active
3) Inactive
4) Other

And this is all dependent on how the developer codes his app.

Now you will notice there is a difference between the STARTING free and ENDING free. The reason for this is rather simple. The app leaves part of itself in memory for faster launching. This is sometimes called a "Stub". For now we will use that term. The Stub when the program becomes paused moves from wired/active to inactive. Once the Stub is no longer needed it moves from inactive to other or is released.

So the next question is what happened to the DATA.

Easy, iOS didn't see a need to keep it in memory at all because the USER killed the app. The data is dynamic. Which means even if the Stub is still in memory the data isn't worth anything since the next launch will change it. Simply put that is just good Operating System design.

Hope that clears up part of what everyone is seeing.

This is on a JB model. We are not all JB. So my question is, for a non JB iPhone how do we clear cache? Or can this not be done. If it can't be done. Why have apple allowed this?

iHolophyte

Which cache are you referring to?

Because there are more than one in iOS.

I have no idea. How's about you tell me which ones I can or cannot clear 

iHolophyte

LOL. Ok.

Lets list off the most common ones then for a *nix based OS. I believe 95% plus of what I am about to type applies to both Android and iOS for reference.

1) CPU has a cache.

2) The OS has several caches. This is due to almost everything being kept as a file on disk.
a) programs in memory
b) drivers in memory
c) data for flash memory access

3) Apps has a cache launching area. Android has this for sure because of the Dalvik Virtual Machine. I don't believe iOS has one because all apps are native. PC have one for optimizing launches in the future.

4) Each App has a data section in flash memory available to it. Calling it a "cache" is sort of a misnomer though. It would be better called a "scratch pad" and "permanent storage".

So the following are cleared on reboot - 1 and 2. 4 is dependent on the app/developer. 3 is handled when you load an updated version of the app.

Status
Not open for further replies.