What's new

Charging

the2ems

Reaction score
Is it possible to over charge my iPhone? Is there any reason that I shouldn't leave it on charge over night?

Is it possible to over charge my iPhone? Is there any reason that I shouldn't leave it on charge over night?
i think the general consensus is that the battery will stop being charged when it reaches 100%,i don't like to leave mine on charge over night though,my reason being you are still using energy while devices are plugged in to the mains,i'm energy conscious.

Last edited:
It is not possible to overcharge your phone. No reason to be concerned at all.

Poisonivy and thewitt are very correct. There is no way to overcharge an iPhone, but I will go one step further on the explanation.

The iPhone has a built in charging circuit that will do a 4 stage charging cycle. The third stage is the master cut off and what protects the battery. But should that ever fail, the Lithium-Ion battery itself has an over-voltage protection circuit as well. This circuit will render the battery unusable until removed from the iPhone and reset by a special device. So you are protected by two systems at present.