What's new

Why will the battery only charge to 97% sometimes?

RedAlert

Reaction score
Sometimes while charging over night when I wake up in the morning and unplug the phone, the charge instantly drops to 97%. Anybody have any ideas?

Perform a full cycle on the battery to recalibrate the it. Use the phone till it dies (battery reach 1% and the iPhone goes OFF) then full recharge the iPhone again and let it drop till it dies again. You can do this once in a month or so to keep the battery healthy.

Me also facing this problem.And Is it really so?that the phone should not be plugged in till the battery reaches at 1%?

RedAlert said:
Sometimes while charging over night when I wake up in the morning and unplug the phone, the charge instantly drops to 97%. Anybody have any ideas?

Mines been doing this also

bab2010 said:
Perform a full cycle on the battery to recalibrate the it. Use the phone till it dies (battery reach 1% and the iPhone goes OFF) then full recharge the iPhone again and let it drop till it dies again. You can do this once in a month or so to keep the battery healthy.

I'm gonna try it when it does today hah

There are a few reasons battery charge drop to a certain point; the gauge in battery slot may not allowed it charges over maximum points whether charge in day time or night time. Battery over charged may even weak it functionally.
Battery over charge? I believe iPhones were designed to trickle charge after reaching full charge so that they do not over charge. What exactly are you trying to say?
Btw, one of the reasons to recalibrate n iPhone battery is to "reset" The percentage indicator which is why so many here are suggesting that be done.

You don't want to overcharged battery to begin with, there are all types of battery each has a life duration of six to twelve months. Not all batteries are made to reach 100% performance capacity even though it indicated on screen full charged.
Wrong again. I easily get two + years out of every iPhone battery I have owned and Apple has a website that discusses battery life and what affects it. Perhaps you should read it.

I think your battery is not calibrated on it exact capacity.

I read somewhere that the charging system is designed such that once the charge level reaches 100% it automatically discharges briefly to 97% so as not to overcharge the battery. I assume it repeats this process until unplugged from the charger.