What's new

Can Verizon just cancel your unlimited data plan contract?

Tricon7

Reaction score
I have Verizon's unlimited data plan, and I got to thinking - can Verizon at some future point in time just decide that they don't want these data-hogging plans and just cancel the contracts for those who have them? Is there an option that allows them to cancel the contract? Who's to say that they can just decide to not renew one's contract to keep one from keeping unlimited data?

LOL. This is always a fun discussion.

Legally they can cancel your service, at any point, when you have breached their ToS (Terms of Service).

Technically then can cancel your service whenever they feel like it. But they risk a possible small claims court lawsuit.

Plus everytime you "upgrade" your phone or make any changes Verizon can (and usually does) put you in their new plans. So if you upgraded lately you probably lost your unlimited data plan since the unlimited plans are no longer offered by VZW

Plus everytime you "upgrade" your phone or make any changes Verizon can (and usually does) put you in their new plans. So if you upgraded lately you probably lost your unlimited data plan since the unlimited plans are no longer offered by VZW

That statement is not 100% factually correct.

The only way VZW can legally change your "contractual plan" is if you request a change in the minutes, text or data portion of the contract. Changing out the phone DOES NOT cause a contract change. Never has, never will.

Well they did it to me on two occasions that is why I said that. Their reason was that since my line was up for an upgrade that meant that my contract on that line was also up and since they do not offer the "unlimited" plan anymore I had to choose another plan for the new contract. That is why I said that. I guess I just got stuck with crappy customer service people that did not want to leave my account alone.

Well they did it to me on two occasions that is why I said that. Their reason was that since my line was up for an upgrade that meant that my contract on that line was also up and since they do not offer the "unlimited" plan anymore I had to choose another plan for the new contract. That is why I said that. I guess I just got stuck with crappy customer service people that did not want to leave my account alone.

Yup you did. You should have fought to keep your unlimited data.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

You were outright lied to. Now the bigger question is, where you at a corporate store or a reseller? I am going to bet on reseller. Because they make a commission on selling a new contract.

switching from my galaxy nexus to my 4s did not in any way change my plan or remove my unlimited data + hotpsot package...

You were outright lied to. Now the bigger question is, where you at a corporate store or a reseller? I am going to bet on reseller. Because they make a commission on selling a new contract.

I was actually on the phone with customer service doing an upgrade that way. I will not deal with resellers and the corporate store near me is filled with a bunch of jerks. But luckily the "lost" unlimited plan was on a line that I do not use any more. I use it only for upgrades as it was my daughter's line and now is our backup/emergency line. But on our other lines I still have the unlimited plans

The reason I bring this up is because I'm looking at 10 or 20 years down the road. The few people who *still* have Verizon's unlimited data plan by then will no doubt be a very small minority compared to their overall subscriber base, and I wonder if Verizon will just want to do away with these pesky data-hogging customers once and for all. They may figure that, relatively speaking, the few number of those subscribers won't be able to make much of a dent noise-wise to them and Verizon can absorb whatever irritating consequences come with just canceling their contracts.

Just a thought.

10 or 20 years down the road, there probably won't be anything that resembles the plans or technology we have now. Look at how far the technology has come with cell phones in the last 20 years! No one even knew what a data plan was not too long ago in the scheme of things. And a "smart phone"? What the heck was that?! LOL!

Heck 20 years ago the internet was not even around and only the welthy had computers in their homes. Most computers were in giant airconditioned rooms and were these big monsterous things.