What's new

The value of an unlimited data plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on O2 with unlimited data and never really used more than 400/500mb because it was really slow anyway. I now have a 4s with orange and only have 1gb of data but the speed is so much better. Almost like using broadband at times. I don't think I'll ever need more and even if I do there will always be someone offering unlimited in the uk.

Thats what we have been discussing here (if you read further up). There are a lot of carriers that sell "unlimited plans", but the fine print says "unlimited plan is up to 1.5 or whatever GB a month" and so on so it is not exactly "unlimited")

Not saying yours is like that necessarily but maybe if you stream netflixx 24/7 we can all find out ;)

Verizon Unlimited data plan is just that, unlimited. There is no cap to the amount of data you can use just understand that if you install some app to share your phone data with other devices and you start raking up a huge bill, like 15-30GB Verizon can potentially bill you for stolen data as there is a paid Hot Spot app on the iPhone and Android phones. On Verizon's 3g network if you use between 4-5GB of data you will most likely get throttled.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

like 15-30GB Verizon can potentially bill you for stolen data as there is a paid Hot Spot app on the iPhone and Android phones.

Can you elaborate on this? Verizon has an issue with me surfing at Hot Spots or something (not that I don't do anything but surf the Net there, but I had to ask)? I don't care anything about turning my iPhone into a Hot Spot (as if I even knew how to do that).

There are other non Verizon wireless hot spot apps. But since they bypass paying Verizon for data and all of the sudden your data usage jumps from 2-3GB/month to 15-30GB/month they can suspect that you are stealing data. And by stealing data I mean not paying to use the included Verizon Hot Spot app. The hot spot app/feature is built in to the Verizon iPhone software and requires a hotshot data plan. Which is separate from your unlimited phone data plan.
Basically the hot spot/tether data plan gives you a certain data allowance to share with other devices. Once you use all the tether data, that means sharing data with a laptop or ipad for example, Verizon will bill you by the Gigabite for any shared data. However you can still watch Netflix, 24/7, on your phone if you wanted and you would not incur any additional charges.

Most people don't like this practice by Verizon as they see it as paying more money for the same data.

I do the same thing. I sometimes have to drive out-of-town and do night driving. Since the Interstates are pretty empty at night, I'll watch some Star Trek:TNG on Netflix on my iPhone. I just hold it in front of the steering wheel. -LOL-

*Rubs his chin* I wonder how much data I use like that on their network?
Nice. As though texting while driving isn't dangerous enough...watching TV? Really?

Nice. As though texting while driving isn't dangerous enough...watching TV? Really?

On a 7-hour drive on a dead Interstate late at night? Really. Should I be doing it? Probably not. Should I also not be talking on my cellphone while driving? Probably not. But I'm really, really careful when I do both.

Last edited:
On a 7-hour drive on a dead Interstate late at night? Really. Should I be doing it? Probably not. Should I also not be talking on my cellphone while driving? Probably not. But I'm really, really careful when I do both.

It has been proven that texting while driving is twice as dangerous as impaired. I would relate this risk to watching TV on the iPhone as well.

It has been proven that texting while driving is twice as dangerous as impaired. I would relate this risk to watching TV on the iPhone as well.

I would tend to agree with you, but it depends on the circumstances. Texting while in the city or in traffic? Definite no. On a lonesome straightaway road with no one around? No so much. I wold never do this except for the fact that (1) it's an interstate highway and (2) it's dead.

I think we all either dial a virtual keypad to make a call while driving, or either hunt in the menus for that number to press, and this is also distracting - no less so than texting. It takes discretion to know when to do this. I think it's more a matter of common sense and knowing when to look and when not to look.

I would tend to agree with you, but it depends on the circumstances. Texting while in the city or in traffic? Definite no. On a lonesome straightaway road with no one around? No so much. I wold never do this except for the fact that (1) it's an interstate highway and (2) it's dead.

I think we all either dial a virtual keypad to make a call while driving, or either hunt in the menus for that number to press, and this is also distracting - no less so than texting. It takes discretion to know when to do this. I think it's more a matter of common sense and knowing when to look and when not to look.

Risk is risk, if I am impaired on a lonesome straight away road with no one around, is that OK?

Risk is risk, if I am impaired on a lonesome straight away road with no one around, is that OK?

Exactly, I was a sales rep for 17 years mostly Interstate and country roads and even on the "dead" roads the probability is infinite as to what you will come across and in today's day and age everyone is accountable. It really is just a game of Russian roulette. Sounds like Tricon7 has a great line for the judge and the statie "Should I be doing it? Probably not. Should I also not be talking on my cellphone while driving? Probably not. But I'm really, really careful when I do both."

As if texting and driving wasn't bad enough. I don't care if your on an empty road you shouldn't be doing it as it's against the law.

Anyway thus thread has run its course and ended up way off topic.

CLOSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.