What's new

bluetooth problems

ok went to chicago and used the blueant t1 several times and all went well. all calls went thru great and everyone heard me fine. the only problems were a couple of calls sounded like i was speaker phone but was still clear and the phone command feature is somewhat a pain as i would call a name on my directory and the headset would call information. i think it might be my fault but it was a pain when i was driving and didn't want to dial from my phone.

all in all i say this is a great headset and would recommend it. since all the bluetooth problems this is one that works

good luck and i hope this helps

dave

ok been awhile now and can give a update on the t1. i tried to update the headset on the blueant website and couldn't get it to work. blueant won't have the update for the 64 bit computor till oct. gee whats wrong with my old trs80 and a floppy disk update. the 64 bit has been around for what 3-4 yrs. or more why not get it done sooner?? anyway the t1 stills disconnects and reconnects often and is very annoying when you hear over and over(bluetooth disconnected then bluetooth connected dave's iphone) i have to reboot the headset and clear it from my phone and set it up as a new headset and then it works fine for awhile and then do it again. so far i have had to reset about a dozen times over 1 month. i screwed up and didn't take the phones back --i should've and waited til the problems are worked out---SOMEDAY???????????????????????

i would recommend no one buys the iphone til it works like it should with bluetooth. i do alot of driving and can't hold the phone and talk and write at the same time. i don't need to kill someone and would just like this thing to work

I restored my phone and bluetooth has worked well so far. I just upgraded to IOS 4.1 and I hope all the blustooth issues go away.

My Motorola H690 did not work at all until I updated the iPhone 4 to iOS 4.1. Before it sounded like I was in a tunnel or would not connect at all. The problem has cleared up since the upgrade. Not sure if it would help others, but it did work with the Motorola.

My Motorola H690 did not work at all until I updated the iPhone 4 to iOS 4.1. Before it sounded like I was in a tunnel or would not connect at all. The problem has cleared up since the upgrade. Not sure if it would help others, but it did work with the Motorola.

It's seemed to have worked for me as well. I have the Blueant Q1.

I have the same issue with my Jabra. Worked perfectly with my 3G, but now everyone says I sound muffled and far away??

I just updated to 4.1...so hopefully that will help.

I have four different stereo BT headphones and five different mono headsets...all of which worked perfectly on my tired old HTC WM6 smartphone. Before the Apple 0S4.1 update, I paired two of the stereo headphones and four of the mono headsets with the iPhone, and had problems with all of them.

On all of the on-head units the call quality was horrific, and on the stereo headphones, most of the music controls didn't work. I contacted the Apple TECHSUPP department, but before we got into it, the OS4.1 update was released and it solved nearly all of my problems.

Most of the time, phone calls sound fine, and music control functions work on the stereo headphones. Mostly.

However, on one of the stereo headphones (Plantronics 590) the PAUSE/RESUME function doesn't seem to work consistently (it will PAUSE but not RESUME). More importantly...I occasionally lose all music control functions on all headphones.

Deleting & re-pairing doesn't fix it - I have to reboot the phone. I have not tried rebooting without re-pairing, but I am assuming both steps need to be performed. Either way it is frustrating & time-consuming.

The proposal to update the on-head units is silly; none of the units I own have any such feature described on the manufacturers website. And the fact that all of the functions work most of the time -- and rebooting the iPhone restores full functionality on every device -- clearly indicates that it is the iPhone that is the guilty party. I'm guessing there is a glitch in the BT stack protocol...although this is by no means my area of expertise.

Last edited:
got bad news for ya melody--it won't fixem completly--i had to buy a blueant t1 which seems to work most of the time --sometimes i still get the constant (your headset is not connected then a few seconds later it says your bluetooth is connected--very annoying --then sometimes i have to go to my phone as people can't hear me using the headset---this is apples problem and i still believe they can't figure a fix for the older I4 phones so they just ingore it--when i start to get a problem i just shut the phone off and wait a few seconds and reboot and it seems to work ok but just for awhile--i have heard nothing but raves about the droid phone and will problably go it soon--i use my phone alot for business and can't put up with this much longer--and i tell everyone i can "DON'T BUY THE IPHONE" APPLE YOUR HAVE A GOOD SALESMAN OUT THERE

Wireless Bluetooth FM Transmitter Handsfree Car Kit

I don't have a headset Bluetooth, but in my car I have a Wireless Bluetooth FM Transmitter Hands free Car Kit and it seems to work like a charm. When I turn my car on the connection goes automatically and when I get a call I just touch the answer button on the Bluetooth unit and take the call nice and clear through my car speaker system.

Last edited:
Admittedly this forum is not particularly helpful, but I suppose it can't hurt to publicize our issues...

I spoke to Apple about my problem(s). I explained that -- in my estimation -- it was the iPhone that has the problem, not the headphones. I supported this claim by pointing out that the same thing occurs with several different headphones. And the fix involves rebooting the iPhone & re-pairing the headphones...as opposed to making some sort of change to the headphones (which is impossible)

Naturally the Apple rep argued with me, and told me that the headphones are probably not on the Apple compatibility list. I told her that Bluetooth is supposed to be a standard communication interface, and the issue of compatibility should be non-existent. That didn't change her mind though.

got bad news for ya melody--it won't fixem completly--i had to buy a blueant t1 which seems to work most of the time --sometimes i still get the constant (your headset is not connected then a few seconds later it says your bluetooth is connected--very annoying --then sometimes i have to go to my phone as people can't hear me using the headset---this is apples problem and i still believe they can't figure a fix for the older I4 phones so they just ingore it--when i start to get a problem i just shut the phone off and wait a few seconds and reboot and it seems to work ok but just for awhile--i have heard nothing but raves about the droid phone and will problably go it soon--i use my phone alot for business and can't put up with this much longer--and i tell everyone i can "DON'T BUY THE IPHONE" APPLE YOUR HAVE A GOOD SALESMAN OUT THERE

If the accessory isn't on the compatible list how is that apples fault? I understand it's annoying but every phone has accessories that are not compatible.........

To a point I agree, but in my case, there are several accessories that spontaneously fail...in the same manner...at the same time...and which are recover-able in the same fashion - by rebooting the phone. And I'm not talking about bizarre and/or obscure and/or old technology either.

Sony DR-BT101
Motorola HT820
Jabra Halo
Plantronics 590

In every case, the telephone part works all the time.
In every case, the music (if it's playing) auto-pauses when a call comes in.
In every case, the music auto-resumes after the call is ended.
In every case, SKIP >> and SKIP << works.
In every case, CALL ANSWER, CALL END and VOICE DIAL works.

But...suddenly...SKIP >> and SKIP << will cease to work. Changing headsets doesn't help.

Admittedly this forum is not particularly helpful, but I suppose it can't hurt to publicize our issues...

I spoke to Apple about my problem(s). I explained that -- in my estimation -- it was the iPhone that has the problem, not the headphones. I supported this claim by pointing out that the same thing occurs with several different headphones. And the fix involves rebooting the iPhone & re-pairing the headphones...as opposed to making some sort of change to the headphones (which is impossible)

Naturally the Apple rep argued with me, and told me that the headphones are probably not on the Apple compatibility list. I told her that Bluetooth is supposed to be a standard communication interface, and the issue of compatibility should be non-existent. That didn't change her mind though.

I understand your frustration and sympathize with you, but I had the same issue with my ex-Motorola phone which was not working well with my in-car Bluetooth HandsFree; when I rang Motorola, they told me they could not help me as the Bluetooth unit was not a Motorola brand.

Dateline October 14, 2010. I also have an iPhone 4 that was purchased from AT&T about October 1st of 2010. I am running iOS 4.1. I was having no call connectivity issues but I was having all the same issues with the bluetooth that are mentioned here. Headsets (I also tried several) would pair and connect only to begin continually disconnecting and re-connecting and I could usually hear my callers but they said I was breaking up or they just couldn't understand me.
Someone in one of the articles I read mentioned rebooting the phone.
In case you don't know, rebooting isn't the same as turning the phone off and on. To reboot you hold down the power button and the home button at the same time. When the power down slider appears, power down. Power back up like normal. I, with nothing to lose, tried this. My bluetooth now seems to be working perfectly. Even better than it did with my 3G phone. I am experiencing no more disconnects and my callers have quit complaining. Admittedly, I have just done this a few hours ago but it seems all is well.

Hope this helps.

How's your device working wiz? What make/model?

Thanks

Plantronics 390. Worked perfectly with my motorola. It works fine when it's connected, but the ip4 drops the BT connection with almost every incoming call. So, when it rings I have to hold up both the phone and the BT to my ears to figure out whats on. I can then reconnect with teh call in progress, but what a pain in the ass. Doesn't make sense that this would be a battery saving scheme, as the BT radio is still on after it drops the connection.

I've found this to be a good mobile web device but a real POS phone. Worst phone I've had since 1998 - no kidding.