What's new

Apple ID

Tom Elliott

Reaction score
I have 3 Apple devices (iPhone, ipad, imini) using one Apple ID. I was told by Apple that I need another Apple ID. Is that true? If so, why? Also, How do I apply for another Apple ID? Thanks

Did someone message you that you need another ID, or was this at an Apple Store? Sometimes supposed support is actually a scammer.

I have 3 Apple devices (iPhone, ipad, imini) using one Apple ID. I was told by Apple that I need another Apple ID. Is that true? If so, why? Also, How do I apply for another Apple ID? Thanks
Apple would never tell you that you need another Apple ID. How did you receive the message about the new Apple ID? Did the message you received have a link to click on in order to create that new Apple ID?

Last edited:
Apple recommends that each person have their own Apple ID. Then use family sharing.

A member is free to choose whatever user name they want as long as it does not violate our rules and is not being used as a means of spamming our forum.

Well tom got the advice

I will try to answer back to most of you.

Thank you for my warm welcome. My profile is for real. I am actually Tom Elliott, but I am 76 years old, not 78. I am male, not female. I may have entered the wrong sex in my profile. How do I correct my profile?

Yes, I talked to Apple store who gave me the warning that I need more than just one Apple ID. I have called the Apple store some time ago asking for some help. I don't remember the exact nature of my call, but the weird advice from Apple saying that I need more than just my Apple ID left me puzzled for a long time until I decided to ask iPhone forums for specific help.

Otherwise, you have answered my real question on Apple ID. So I will continue to use the same Apple ID for my three Apple devices. Thanks!

If you're accessing this forum through a browser, tap your username at the top right, then select " Personal Details":
IMG_3136.JPG

Now you can edit your gender:
IMG_3137.JPG

Then scroll down and save the changes:
IMG_3138.JPG

If you wish to have your birthday corrected, contact forum staff, and tell them the right date. You can't rectify that yourself, once it has been entered.

Btw:

I don't think Apple gave you the advice to use more than one Apple ID. It's possible that they meant: you need an Apple ID, and something else. Since you don't remember why you were calling them, I can't tell you what that could be.

You can have ten devices (no more than five of them computers) associated with your Apple ID and iTunes at one time.
(Apple)

I will try to answer back to most of you.

Thank you for my warm welcome. My profile is for real. I am actually Tom Elliott, but I am 76 years old, not 78. I am male, not female. I may have entered the wrong sex in my profile. How do I correct my profile?

Yes, I talked to Apple store who gave me the warning that I need more than just one Apple ID. I have called the Apple store some time ago asking for some help. I don't remember the exact nature of my call, but the weird advice from Apple saying that I need more than just my Apple ID left me puzzled for a long time until I decided to ask iPhone forums for specific help.

Otherwise, you have answered my real question on Apple ID. So I will continue to use the same Apple ID for my three Apple devices. Thanks!

If all 3 of those devices are your own personal devices you use, they can have the same Apple ID. But if they are used by other people, then each person needs they're own Apple ID. For example, if the iPad is your spouse's device, it needs a different ID from yours. Don't share an Apple ID with others.