What's new

Apple care vs best buy protection

mach1man

Reaction score
I just got my iphone 5 a week ago and I'm wondering what protection is better. I have the best buy protection right now. It's $15 a month covers everything and there is no deductible if I have to have something fixed. Plus it's unlimited claims. What would be the better insurance to go with?

I just got my iphone 5 a week ago and I'm wondering what protection is better. I have the best buy protection right now. It's $15 a month covers everything and there is no deductible if I have to have something fixed. Plus it's unlimited claims. What would be the better insurance to go with?

Best buy isnt unlimited claims, they can reject it at anytime if they feel abuse. Also, your without a phone for sometimes a month (youll get a rental phone of lesser quality). 15/mo times 24 months is $360. Applecare is 99 plus $50 deductible up to 2 times. Best buy also gives you a refurb phone. If the svc center is out of stock youll go on backorder till more refurbs are available.

Do yourself a favor, get applecare.

Yes i worked at geeksquad for 3 years until june and my roommate still works there. Black tie protection SUCKS!

I love my apple care! Best $99 I ever spent!

iPhoneMommy
~Tech Obsessed Mom~
iPhone 5 - Black - 16GB

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

Tapatalk Yo! :)

Apple Care is the best!

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net on Sprint

I love best buys GSP! No deductible and you have the option to buy it outright for $229 or 14.99/month and is also refundable if bought outright! Unlimited claims! If the phone is damaged beyond repair and not available or on back order , they will do a junk out and you will get a brand new phone!!

I love best buys GSP! No deductible and you have the option to buy it outright for $229 or 14.99/month and is also refundable if bought outright! Unlimited claims! If the phone is damaged beyond repair and not available or on back order , they will do a junk out and you will get a brand new phone!!

As a former best buy employee stated above, best buy isn't unlimited claims. They can deny your claim if they feel their protection plan is being abused. Best buy will never give you a brand new phone. Best buy will make you wait until more refurbished phones are available. That's why they offer you the crappy loaner phone. I was told this by an employee at best buy when I was looking into the protection plan for a separate phone.

Best Buy is $360 for 2 years of coverage and you get a refurbished phone each time.

Apple Care+ is $99 and $50 per incident (up to 2 incidents). So thats a total of $199 and you get a brand new phone as a replacement each time.

Seems that Apple Care+ is the best way to go to me.

Yea I'm canceling my best buy protection bc when I took my phone into best buy for a rattle noise they wanted to give me a refurb. I said I don't think so bc I'm still with in my 30 days of owning the phone. So they just returned it and gave me a new one. So apple care + for me.

I'm still with in my 30 days of owning the phone. So they just returned it and gave me a new one. So apple care + for me.
1.gif

BBY's Black Tie Protection insurance is provided through AIG. They are the largest company, by far, that the U.S. bailed out a few years ago to the tune of $182 billion. For this reason alone, I personally would not give mismanaged AIG any money. To be fair, I'm not sure who fund's Apple's insurance plan.

Black tie sucks. Had it on RCA TV/DVD and it broke and do to they no longer carry that model I got some cheap Dynex crap. Learned the hard way shop around for places with good warranty plans.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I'm still with in my 30 days of owning the phone. So they just returned it and gave me a new one. So apple care + for me.
1.gif
Remember that the return policy with Apple and the carriers' iPhones is 14 days not 30. That changed a while back. Apple sometimes is lenient at my Apple Store. They're cool that way.

Right carriers is 14 days but best buy is 30 days. I asked that question multiple times. But I had the phone for only 8-10 days.