What's new

Best protection plan beyond warranty?

rico567

Reaction score
I'm interested in knowing what people have found to be the best protection plans for their Verizon iPhone beyond the Apple 1 year warranty. I'm not looking to pay Verizon $9 a month per phone to protect everything. The Apple Care for 2 years for $99 seems like a good deal, since it covers 2 accidents for $50 each, but I'm not sure whether or not I can buy it for a Verizon iPhone, or just one that I've purchased at an Apple retailer.

Apple Care is for the Apple product. Apple doesn't care where you bought it as long as it is registered.

OK, thanks "jimmi3" That makes sense. Even though I have to activate the phone with Verizon, I can still register it with Apple, then buy Apple Care.

And, no plans for physical mods, "willerz2"....and I understand that if one "jailbreaks" and or "unlocks" the phone, it can still be restored to factory spec if warranty work is required.

Depends on the unlock. If it's a factory unlock, then you can always claim it as a carrier unlock. If it's an interposer unlock, just pull it out. If it's a software unlock, restoring will do. Quite a few Apple reps/genius will overlook the jailbreak on the device. The Apple store that's close to where I work, most reps/geniuses have their iPhones jailbroken. But the rest of the reps/geniuses that are legit only, they'll deny you.

If you however, brick your device while jailbroken and you can't revert back to a stock bricked state, they can deny your warranty request because most cases are linked to jailbreaking. Then again, I don't think bricked iPhones are fully covered.

Apple is ambiguous about Apple Care on their web site....and, after chatting with a rep, there's a reason. A phone purchased from a provider IS eligible for Apple Care, but the phones must be taken to an Apple Retail Store to verify the date of purchase. That could be a problem for some folks....not for us.

I just signed up for apple care over the phone. No in store verification needed. I was told you have 30 days from the day you receive the phone to add apple care.

~iPhoneMommy~

Sent from my Black, 16GB, iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

As a side note. My apple care plus covers my iPhone 5 for 2 years. Not 1. Is is also cheaper than paying the monthly Verizon insurance fee over a 2 year period.

~iPhoneMommy~

I just signed up for the apple care plus this past weekend. I also have the Verizon insurance. I know...it's probably overkill, but I can cancel my Verizon insurance if I want. Prior to my iPhone I had a phone that died on me 3 months before my contract ended. Had I had the insurance, I would have been able to get a replacement. So needless to say I had to use a phone I had 4 years ago that was so clunky. It killed me and was the longest 3 months ever! ;)

As a side note. My apple care plus covers my iPhone 5 for 2 years. Not 1. Is is also cheaper than paying the monthly Verizon insurance fee over a 2 year period.

~iPhoneMommy~

Yes, this is exactly the reason I want the AppleCare and not the Verizon coverage.

I called 800-694-7466 and did it over the phone. They emailed me my confirmation. Again you have 30 days from the date of purchase if you wanted it for your phone!

~iPhoneMommy~

I called 800-694-7466 and did it over the phone. They emailed me my confirmation. Again you have 30 days from the date of purchase if you wanted it for your phone!

~iPhoneMommy~

Thanks for the tip, "Mommy." Got it handled on the phone with no difficulty at all. Can't imagine why the Apple Store Chat-person told me I had to go to a retail store to do it......

Geek Squad Protection from Best Buy. Saved me more times than I can count.

There are 2 options for purchase;
$14.99 monthly off a credit/debit card.
$229.98 outright purchase for two years.

I chose this plan for the hassle free replacements I can get by walking into my local store, and the fact that I pay nothing for a new phone.

We have never needed any kind of service or replacement on our previous cell phones (Motorola or LG), so we felt that the AppleCare coverage was more than sufficient ($99 for two years).