What's new

Airplane mode help!

EllisByron

Reaction score
Hi, when i put my phone into airplane mode, is every single signal shut off? Because when i put my phone near my speakers it make tht sound when the phone is trying to recieve signals

I would certainly think so. The noise you are hearing could just be electrical interference (but I'm no expert).

i believe it is only some speakers i have this issue near some speakers but not all just turn the phone off if ur wanting to turn all singles off

Hi, when i put my phone into airplane mode, is every single signal shut off? Because when i put my phone near my speakers it make tht sound when the phone is trying to recieve signals
I know exactly what you mean! The speaker noise you're experiencing is the iPhone "talking" (handshaking) with your telecom provider's tower. This is necessary to keep your device connected so that when you come out of Airplane mode, you'll have the tower available to you almost instantly. Hypothetically, if you were travelling while in Airplane mode, this handshaking would transfer you to the next available tower for your use after exiting Airplane mode. Understand?

Even though all the signals are shut off it is still an electronic device so it is bound to cause some interference. That is why they have you turn off all your electronic devices during takeoff and landing

Even though all the signals are shut off it is still an electronic device so it is bound to cause some interference. That is why they have you turn off all your electronic devices during takeoff and landing

There has never been any proof that these devices cause interference with avionics. There has only ever been one study performed, by the UK equivalent of the FAA, and they used simulated cellphone signals in a lab, not real cellphone signals in a plane.

The FAA website has a great document on this rule, what testing was dne, why it's in place, and what the options are for the airlines.

As for the original question, all of the radios are turned off in airplane mode. It is not communicating with cell towers.

Your device will emit a very small rf signal simply because of the various circuitry that is still powered on in the device. If this is an issue for you, don't put it near your speakers or power it off completely.

I fly to Florida often and I personally think we all should follow rules and put phone on age mode or TURN OFF!
I do it with any electronics(ereaders and tablets)
I still write texts save them and play games or read and than wham when we land, take off plane mode and everything comes back!
Nothing works above the clouds anyways, so why not be safe.The phones search fr signals and I dearly fear one day it's going to cause a problem.

This only happened to me when I had the EDGE phone connection. On 3G and 4G the noise did nitnhappen neither does it with a WIFI connection.

airplane mode is designed to shut down any and all signals so when flying the calls to not interfere with the airplanes frequencies.

Sent from my 64gb iPad