What's new

Access the Internet on an airplane flight?

Tricon7

Reaction score
I know that one is supposed to switch into Airplane Mode during a flight, but what if you have an unlimited data plan and cost isn't a factor? I won't be making any phone calls on the flight, but I thought that watching a Netflix movie would be nice. Is Internet even available on flights now? I fly very little so I'm ignorant of such things.

Tricon7 said:
I know that one is supposed to switch into Airplane Mode during a flight, but what if you have an unlimited data plan and cost isn't a factor? I won't be making any phone calls on the flight, but I thought that watching a Netflix movie would be nice. Is Internet even available on flights now? I fly very little so I'm ignorant of such things.

You shouldn't use your cell phone on a flight without airplane mode. Just to be safe check with your flight because I read that some planes are using a picocell. Which acts like a mini cell tower. check this out. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_on_aircraft

I have never attempted to use my phone during flight as we are always told to turn mobile phones off and keep them off all the time as they may intefere with the aircraft navigation.

I have never attempted to use my phone during flight as we are always told to turn mobile phones off and keep them off all the time as they may intefere with the aircraft navigation.

Phones and other devices are turned off during take off and landing because that is the most critical period of flight. After a determined amount of time in the air, some devices are allowed to be used. Cell phones are not allowed to be used simply because etiquette reasoning---o one wants to listen to a neighbor's conversation.

Some airlines have onboard wifi and would probably allow the phone to be used wifi only. You would have to check with that airline.

You can use your phone in airplane mode, which allows you to use wifi on board if it's available on your flight, the only time phone needs to be completely off is during take off and landing, once you are a certain elevation you are good to go as long as in airplane mode. Therefore you can watch movies and whatever at that point.

You can use your phone in airplane mode, which allows you to use wifi on board if it's available on your flight, the only time phone needs to be completely off is during take off and landing, once you are a certain elevation you are good to go as long as in airplane mode. Therefore you can watch movies and whatever at that point.

I travel overseas at least once or twice a year and up to now I have not come across an airline that has allowed mobile phones use even after the green light is given to use other electronic devices. May be in the business area which I don't know.

I saw on a video from Ijustine there was a virgin plane with internet access and you see even Mr Branson himself on the flight and i think slowly over the years you will see more and more flights with wifi access that will probably cost ALOT but on any normal flight atm if you turn on the phone you wont get a signal at all regardless of if you care about 3G charges or not.

I always keep my phone on and on airplane mode and laptop with the wifi turned off and just watch movies and i get a good 5 hours battery from my laptop alone then switch to the phone when that runs out lol

if you turn on the phone you wont get a signal at all regardless of if you care about 3G charges or not.

You'll get a signal, alright. The problem is, due to current cell technology limitations, you may very well end up overwhelming multiple cell towers, and cause the software that controls them to crash. The only way around this is to use a picocell; and that is something the airlines don't want the general public to know (especially US based airlines).

In the era of service cuts (can't even get a real meal in economy anymore) the last things the airlines want is pressure from the customers to implement picocell technology, they would much rather make money off of the passengers via the airfones.

Dave12308 said:
You'll get a signal, alright. The problem is, due to current cell technology limitations, you may very well end up overwhelming multiple cell towers, and cause the software that controls them to crash. The only way around this is to use a picocell; and that is something the airlines don't want the general public to know (especially US based airlines).

In the era of service cuts (can't even get a real meal in economy anymore) the last things the airlines want is pressure from the customers to implement picocell technology, they would much rather make money off of the passengers via the airfones.

Lol. I posted something about the picocell in the first reply. Lol

I travel overseas at least once or twice a year and up to now I have not come across an airline that has allowed mobile phones use even after the green light is given to use other electronic devices. May be in the business area which I don't know.

I travel often as well, and as long as you show them it's in airplane mode I've had no issues with using my phone for Internet or watching movies while in flight.

Dont be that guy. Use your brain and do what the robots want.

...or go to jail.

On a recent Air Berlin flight from Venice to Stuttgart, the flight attendents said cell phones may be used in flight above a certain altitude IF the device is set to "Airplane Mode". Some Delta flights within the U.S. offer inflight WiFi, they don't on their international flights.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF.net

I travel often as well, and as long as you show them it's in airplane mode I've had no issues with using my phone for Internet or watching movies while in flight.

So I guess they would have to check all the phones in use on board to make sure they are on airplane mode? I am not saying I don't believe you, my last travel was on the 8th of July this year to Japan and Malaysia, and the instruction was without any equivoque, you have to turn you mobile phones off at all time. Last year I went to Canada with Qantas and American Airlines and the instruction was the same.
Next time I will surely ask the flight attendant.

Bluering said:
So I guess they would have to check all the phones in use on board to make sure they are on airplane mode? I am not saying I don't believe you, my last travel was on the 8th of July this year to Japan and Malaysia, and the instruction was without any equivoque, you have to turn you mobile phones off at all time. Last year I went to Canada with Qantas and American Airlines and the instruction was the same.
Next time I will surely ask the flight attendant.

That's the instructions for all flights. You can use electronic devices after a certain height is achieved. Airplane mode basically turns your phone into a iPod so yes you can use it.

Yesterday when plane fly half way , I turn on gps app Sygic , and I try to set from my location to singapore , I notice that Sygic gps able to plot the route direction , but why it unable act like the plane gps software which show the map and display the flight route ? It appear error MSG , need internet access . But I thou GPS app use settle lite signal ?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=1.445272,103.806639