What's new

You Tube on iPhone 5

Myron

Reaction score
What's up with the You Tube App for the iPhone 5? It's horrible! First of all, my 600 Favorites which I synched into my new phone from the iPhone 4, have disappeared. It seems that I have to re-install all 600; a days' work wasted at least. Worse yet, many of my favs now have a 30-second ad which I must sit through and now most of the videos no longer fill-up the screen; they are almost all shown in letterbox format with at least 80% dark. Any way I can retrieve my old iPhone 4 You Tube App? The new App is awful. Anybody like it? Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Myron said:
What's up with the You Tube App for the iPhone 5? It's horrible! First of all, my 600 Favorites which I synched into my new phone from the iPhone 4, have disappeared. It seems that I have to re-install all 600; a days' work wasted at least. Worse yet, many of my favs now have a 30-second ad which I must sit through and now most of the videos no longer fill-up the screen; they are almost all shown in letterbox format with at least 80% dark. Any way I can retrieve my old iPhone 4 You Tube App? The new App is awful. Anybody like it? Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

The old YouTube on your iPhone 4 was not an app, but integrated into the iOS. There is no way to have the old YouTube on the iPhone 5 as it was introduced with iOS 6. Have you tried any of the other apps that play YouTube videos, such as YouPlayer or Jasmine?

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator

Thanks. I will try what you suggested. I heard that Google is punishing Apple as they refused to pay a premium to Google for using You Tube and Google Maps; thus iPhone owners get punished. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks. I will try what you suggested. I heard that Google is punishing Apple as they refused to pay a premium to Google for using You Tube and Google Maps; thus iPhone owners get punished. Is there any truth to this?

Apple's licence to include YouTube as an integrated part of iOS had expired and wasn't renewed. On the Google maps issue, Google was withholding features of Google maps from Apple that they were providing to Android devices, such as turn by turn directions.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator