What's new

You are running out of storage ....email

I finally did it....I bought 50 gbs of storage on iCloud 79p a month. I don't think I will need anymore ever. I am now debating if I should put photos on the cloud. I have 28gbs of photos on the Mac. They are already on Flickr and backed up on Time machine. It would take up a fair chunk of my cloud storage. It has made me really think about what happens to our digital life after we are gone. How are people organising their digital life...or will our digital life die with us as soon as we stop paying....

That is a very good question. For a young family for example, now might be the time to pay some years in advance. And give your logging details to your solicitor.
Giving access to your photos etc in the event of your death.

Why would there be a need to keep digital storage intact after we are gone? Take an honest look at what you would do if someone else left you 25 GB of pictures, you would never have the time to go through them and most would be meaningless to you anyway. Now multiply this by all the people who may pass before you, then look at the next generation - they will inherit your pictures plus all those left by others to you.

"I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

Percy Bysshe Shelley, 1792 - 1822

That is so true zstairlessone, it use to be photos were handed down to who it concerned or spread around. But I don't think todays generation will have anything but digital. I have photos given to me by my parents it is some kind of record of who people were before you and I have looked at them from time to time. When it comes down to it I am the only one who cares about my photos, I will have to intrust them to a grandchild but it won't really matter i suppose they will remain on a cloud somewhere...if anyone has worked out how to organise their digital life please post instructions because I think mine is a mess...lol.
That is a very good question. For a young family for example, now might be the time to pay some years in advance. And give your logging details to your solicitor.
Giving access to your photos etc in the event of your death.
You know Brixtonboy I am kinda hoping I get time to close stuff before I go...lol

I had a friend she waved at me has she was driving her bus by in the village were l live. We used to drive for the same company.
After dropping off the school children.
Last Thursday l visited her mum and dad, we used to spend a lot of time together, but times change.
We all started crying.
A Sunday morning a few weeks ago her husband went to wake her up, she said to him, she'd sleep a couple of more hours. Next time he went to her.
She did not respond, nothing, Heart massage didn't help.
She is 40 years old. 16 year old son. He came home to see the long black car that is used here.

She had no time.

I had a friend she waved at me has she was driving her bus by in the village were l live. We used to drive for the same company.
After dropping off the school children.
Last Thursday l visited her mum and dad, we used to spend a lot of time together, but times change.
We all started crying.
A Sunday morning a few weeks ago her husband went to wake her up, she said to him, she'd sleep a couple of more hours. Next time he went to her.
She did not respond, nothing, Heart massage didn't help.
She is 40 years old. 16 year old son. He came home to see the long black car that is used here.

She had no time.

How incredibly sad, that poor family. Yes as they say tomorrow is not promised....[emoji853] don't put off to tomorrow what can be done today....but we do....old age is a privilege and shouldn't be taken for granted.

Exactly. I constantly am reminded of how much better other brands treat their customers. With a Pixel, Nexus, ...
As a recent refugee from the Android ecosystem I beg to differ. You may get a lot of flash and trash with Android, but, you also do not get the device and applications security, and you're obliged to give up pretty much any semblance of privacy.

With Apple, we have the brand, which does help with resale.
Oh, there's far more than that. Have you ever owned Android devices?

As for the storage thing: 99¢/month, less than $12/year (US), for 50GB of storage. That seems pretty economical to me. Sure, you get 15GB free from Google, but, in using that storage you're also giving Google more data with which to send you "targeted" marketing. (Read the TOS. Carefully.)

Not interested in engaging in Yet Another OS War. To each their own. As for me: I'll take services for which I pay, thus making me the customer, over "free," which makes me the commodity.

I use Google for my photo storage. I am not aware of any targeted advertising. Not that it would bother me.
I don't have any inclination to read their TOS either not that it would make much sense to me.

It's just like an Apple update for example, somewhere it says click this box if you if agree you have read and agree and blah, blah. Does every one do that?
Personally l never do. Just click the box and hope Apple has done its job.
The small print gets in way of living your life.
Just my opinion.

The difference, brixtonboy, is that, with Apple: You're the customer. With Android, for which you're not paying, you're the product.

And, yes: I do read the TOS. Not every time there's an update. In that case I assume it's roughly the same as the TOS I read originally. But, I did read it, originally.

And Tim Cook's letter about Apple's overriding philosophy regarding personal privacy and their products.

But we have to agree every time there is an update
if l understand it correctly don't we.
Must confess l never did and never do. And l am willing to bet l am not the only one.
Sorry no idea about android the last one l had was HTC l think it was called. Gave it to one of my sons.