What's new

Yahoo mail

Bacchus

Reaction score
If memory serves me correctly, not long ago we worked our way through a discussion and ultimate resolution regarding error messages received when checking one's yahoo mail. I've done a couple searches of this forum and I don't find any threads/posts regarding this problem.

I just recently recovered my contacts list and other stuff by restoring from an iTunes backup. The problem is that the only backup available was 3 months old and I now know that it was done at a time when I was having the aforementioned problem with yahoo mail. I know this because I have the problem back again.

One of the error messages says "Cannot get mail. Connection to server failed" and the other asks for my password. Both of them can be just clicked through and they go away. But they return every time you want to get into your yahoo mail.

Online searches and even Yahoo's support page says that deleting and re-installing Yahoo mail will clear up this problem. They're wrong. And all of this was dealt with in the previous forum discussions. At that time, a solution was found that worked - if only I could remember what it was. It wasn't a reset using the power and home buttons. I've tried that a few times without any improvement.

Am I crazy? Or has my memory gone completely around the bend? Anybody have any suggestions? Thank you all very much in advance.... :)

Yeah, that's the one. Guess I didn't choose the right parameters.

In any case, after reading all the way through it I don't see how the cause of the original problem could be having any effect on a restored backup. In other words, if the original problem was caused by damage to an underwater cable then how can the residuals of that damage re-surface via a backup that was made while the problem was happening?

And, moreover, how in the world am I going to get the problem corrected this time - assuming the original problem was caused by what I assumed it was caused by??

Ain't this a hoot?? :)

I'm not going to read through all the posts on this, but everything I've ever read suggests three things. One is uninstalling and reinstalling yahoo using the yahoo provided account "link" in the mail settings. The other is uninstalling it and reinstalling choosing "other" in the mail set up and pluging in all the parameters for yahoo again. And thirdly, change your password online on a PC and then change it on your phone as well.

I have had this issue happen to me and it was simply because I had changed my password online and had forgotten to change it on my phone.

I fail to see your logic. In the first place, I haven't changed any passwords much less changed them on one device but not another.

Secondly, whatever the original problem was it was stored along with the rest of the backup from which I restored. This, it would seem to me, invalidates the notion that the original problem was caused by a damaged cable. And, if it wasn't caused by the cable then it must have been caused by an as yet undetermined factor.

I'll try your first two suggestions but I'm reluctant to change my password.

Thanks again for your help.

you should change passwords often on Yahoo, as it is vulnerable to hacks. And make sure they are strong!

Okay, I'll leave the jury still out on changing my password. However, I've tried your first two suggestions with no positive result. I still have the problem.

Let's revisit my second point in my last post. How would you account for this occurrence? I have an iPhone with lost contacts - I correct that problem by restoring from a backup which was performed while I had an email problem - now I have an iPhone with the same old email problem. It can only have come from the backup. Do you agree?

And if that's the case then the problem couldn't have come from a damaged cable. Agreed?

So, if it didn't come from a damaged cable but resides in the backup from which I restored, and if deleting and reinstalling the yahoo account both ways hasn't cleared up the problem how might changing my password clear it up?

Better yet, what should I do instead of or besides changing my password?

Access the account online, using a browser, and take a look at your settings there. Make sure everything is correct.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean I should do this on my iPhone or my laptop or PC? Can you be a bit more specific, please? Thanks very much.....

No matter where you do this. Just try to access the account, don't use the built in Mail app, if you decide to use the iPhone. Open a browser (maybe Safari) and login to the account.

Okay, this is making me crazy. On my iPhone, I went online, accessed my account by entering my user name and password, and looked for some way to check parameters such as server name, ports, etc. Not finding any way to access that info I left the website. Then, later, I tried to login again the same way I just had but, for some reason, I'm unable to login. Aargh!!

As an aside, I just noticed that one of the error messages I'm getting when I try to check my yahoo mail - the one asking for a password - is asking for a password to my hotmail account. That makes no sense to me. I have no problem accessing my hotmail account.

Do you have a pc or laptop? Look at all of this on a pc or laptop. make sure your password is correct and up to date and that you can access yahoo online on a pc or laptop. step away from your phone for the time being! :)

Yahoo is a web based email service. Therefore whatever you do on you pc to Yahoo will transfer to any other device. For instance, if you delete mail online on your pc, it will delete off your phone. The password needs to match on all devices, i.e. pc, laptop, phone, iPad, etc.

Okay, per your instructions, I just fired up my laptop, signed out of my yahoo account (yahoo is my homepage) and signed back in using my usual user name and password.

Then, just for jollies, I went back to my iPhone and tried to login using the same info. This time it worked and I was logged in.

So, where does that leave us? We've ascertained that my user name and password work on both devices.