What's new

Will the Apple Watch be Water-resistant?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
apple-watch-splash.png

Something occurred to us while watching the Apple Watch part of Apple's keynote. They never explicitly stated that the Apple Watch had any type of IP67 certification (meaning water-resistant or dust-resistant). We can't imagine wearing a $350+ device on your wrist that would be easily destroyed by a bit of rain. Was this an over-sight on the part of the presenters, or will only specific versions of the device have water resistance?

It's important to note that there will be three different models of device: the Apple Watch, Apple Watch Sport Apple Watch Edition. We wonder if they will all end up with some form of water protection, or if only some of them will.

Also, it's worth observing that one of the pics Apple showed of the Apple Watch depicted an athlete splashing the device with water dripping down from his face (shown above). This implies there will be some protection. Share your thoughts?

I think at the LEAST, the Apple Watch Sport would have to be waterproof, considering they expect us to use it while were sweating like beasts

I've done some more digging, and as it turns out, the above pic is shown on Apple's website under their generic Apple Watch. This would leave you to believe that all of the watches will be water resistant, but that is just speculation by deduction.

I sure hope so. More than likely it will be.