What's new

Wifi problems on a 3GS

guygamps

Reaction score
Handset is a iPhone 3GS, more than 2 yeards old, now unlocked.

It will be used as a spare phone in the family with a PAYG Sim in it, but when in our home we want to use it as client for internet radio when docked in a speaker dock, also to play back music off a NAS via uPNP through same dock.

But the Wifi seems very intermittent. Even just a few feet away from the router the indicated level can do up and down, from 1 to 2 points, and the connection can break. Elsewhere in the home is worse, in the bedroom where I want to use the internet radio app, there is no connection at all to the Wifi

Other devices including Palm Pre, HTCs, an HP touchpad, Archos player, and various laptops all connect to same Wifi throughout the home with 100% reliability including in the same bedroom.

The 3GS has had a full factory reset and is running v4.2. Itunes informs me the firnware is up to date and most current, but several apps I want to run are refusing to run unless I have 4.3 or higher. If iTunes is not offering an update, how do I update the handset. Will that change the Wifi issue? did 4.2 have known Wifi problems? could it be a hardware fault?

Thanks

Guy

You must have an iPhone 3G not a 3GS as far as I'm aware the 3GS can be upgraded to IOS 5

Sent from my  iPhone 4S using Tapatalk ☠

Thanks for your response, as far as I know it is a 3GS (8GB), though in Settings/General/About it doesn't say anything about the actual handset type, and under iTunes neither (it gives the IMEI number etc), but my wife and daughter both recall it is a 3GS from when it was purchased.

Regardless, is the suggestion to upgrade it to iOS 5? if so how do I do that, as mentioned iTunes is saying it is 4.2.1 and that this is the latest version for it.

Guy

I had a 3G a while ago that had the same issue. I believe it is a antenna problem. There might be a seller or two on eBay that repairs iPhone antennas.