What's new

Why don't my apps open? iphone 4

Blondie26

Reaction score
Hi there - tonight for the first time my FB and twitter and a couple of game apps do not open - I touch them and they flicker but that's it! The main apps open as usual. Has anyone had this happen and what is causing it?

thanks so much in advance!!

Try a soft-reset. Close all apps then - Hold down the HOME, bottom button, and the SLEEP, top button, for about 10 seconds until the Apple icon appears. Allow it to reboot, it may take a few minutes, don't panic like I did, wait for it to reboot. Cures many weird problems on iOS devices.

Well, it did not work... I don't know what else to do - I can call Apple I guess. One app I paid for! Thank you for the suggestion though!! Happy new year to you.

Try deleting them from the iPhone and reinstalling them. Tap and hold the app until the icons start to wiggle, tap the X in the corner of the apps you want to delete, when you have selected all and deleted them, tap the home button. Now, attach to itunes, select the iPhone, then sync, then go to the apps tab and reselect the apps, and re-sync. Sounds like some of them have gotten corrupt somehow.

Hi again. I removed FB and twitter.... then installed them again...viola! They worked and that made the OTHER non-working apps start again as well. Must have been those two corrupted and once re-installed allowed the others to work. Weird...but didn't have to go through any complicated hi-jinks to get them going. Thank you!! I'm happy again :))))

this is an annoying glitch I recently noticed; happened after I updated my phone on itunes. all the non stock apps would flicker and not open; almost like it crashed. i deleted a purchased app and got it again than somehow they reopen. given it's a quick fix but still annoying to have this problem

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh. this has never happended to me.......And I have restored to 5.1 and 5.0.1 a few times. I'm staying on 5.0.1 for now tho.

perhaps you have updated your phone where it was jailbroken first, the apps that you have downloaded them earlier by cydia wont open after updating your phone so you will have to delete the apps that had been downloaded by cydia and reinstall them again.

mjahrami said:
perhaps you have updated your phone where it was jailbroken first, the apps that you have downloaded them earlier by cydia wont open after updating your phone so you will have to delete the apps that had been downloaded by cydia and reinstall them again.

No...

Once you upgrade a jailbroken device....nothing is left behind. No tweaks, no Cydia. jailbreak is completely gone.

You have to rejailbreak (if possible).

This happened to me too and I figured it out (at least for myself)

Re-sync your phone with your iTunes.

It may have happened because you stopped the sync process too early which could have corrupted the apps. Try re-syncing and letting it finish.

Also remember to left click the iPhone tab on the left in iTunes and select "transfer apps from phone" before you sync so you wont have to re-install anything.