What's new

Why can't iTunes work like Windows Explorer?

kenj65

Reaction score
Apple products frustrate me. In an effort to make things "easy" to work with they have managed to make things obtuse. Why can't iTunes file management work like Windows Explorer? Why hasn't anyone built an alternate that works correctly? Or, is this another obstacle that Apple throws up to force people into their narrow view of how these gadgets are supposed to work?

I tried iFileexpress and iFunbox but they don't work properly. They create their own folders on the iPhone and you have to use their app to access the files. If I get a new photo, document, music, ringtone, alert tone I should be able to drag and drop either way between the devices.

Tell me, am I stuck with this situation?

-=Ken=-

Ken... you're truly preaching to the choir here my friend. Many, many members have expressed their angst and sheer hatred in using iTunes. I, however, have never had an issue using iTunes... and truly love the newest revamp.

Have you tried iFile yet... I've seen quite a few members use it w/ varying degrees of success.

Thomas,

It's nice to be part of the "choir." I have no problems with iTunes either. It seems trouble free on my Windows 7 system. It just seems so convoluted and unintuitive as far as how things work. For instance, adding a ringtone that I collected from the web - and not the iTunes store - requires a series of steps that I cannot remember between the rare occasions I want to do so. I have to look it up every time. This should be a straightforward and easily understood process. Coddle a child long enough and they will never grow up.

iFileexpress and the iTunes version of iFile look to me to be a method to create an additional folder/file system under the exclusive control of the installed app. It provides no access to the native file system. The Cydia version of iFile has far more capability but of course requires the iPhone to be jailbroken. Life should be simpler than this. And, I have a life beyond my gadgets!

Blessings, and thanks for the reply.

-=Ken=-

For instance, adding a ringtone that I collected from the web - and not the iTunes store - requires a series of steps that I cannot remember between the rare occasions I want to do so. I have to look it up every time. This should be a straightforward and easily understood process. Coddle a child long enough and they will never grow up.

I was fixed in the same situation before up until I learned how to organize all the files I used with iTunes using the native windows explorer on my windows 7 laptop. What I did was to keep a single folder for all iPhone-related files and categorize further within based on what each of them are; music, apps, ebooks, movies, etc. So when I download new from the web, I drop them there. When it comes to refreshing iTunes library, I only then have to execute the "Add folder to library" command from the menu and locate those folders.

I am now on a jb iPhone 4 though, so I was able to use iFile in combination with winSCP program via SSH connection. Things become a lot easier.