What's new

Help, please, for a former Windows Mobile user

bowserb

Reaction score
As an IT consultant, I understand the value of sticking with the "standard". With business computing, that means MS Windows and MS Office, plus QuickBooks, and so on. I've used PDAs and smartphones for some time, with my most recent being an HTC Tilt2, a Windows Mobile phone from AT&T. Other than having to reboot the phone every other day, my biggest complaint was lack of applications for Windows phones. Also, 75% of my clients use iPhones, with the rest being Blackberry diehards and a few Androids. In fact, except for myself, I only know one other person with a Windows phone--and he works for Microsoft! OK, as of Saturday, my Windows phone has been replaced with an iPhone 4s, but I miss a couple things and wonder how I can get equivalent functionality.

Windows Explorer, the Windows file manager, allows you to see, copy, delete, and move files around the device and to/from a connected PC. With this function, pretty much all I needed to do, I could do, including putting my converted DVD movies (MP4 or WMV), MP3 music files, and pictures on my phone for playing with the Windows Media Player. Otherwise, with Windows Explorer on the phone, I could just navigate to a folder and tap a file name for it to be executed by the appropriate program. Now it seems that all I can copy over from the PC are JPEG image files, as the only folder I can see from the PC is the DCIM folder.

So my point. How have any of you former WM users adapted to the new system? I know lots of things I have always done manually are pretty automated in Apple operating systems generally, but even that kind of automation comes with a learning curve. Any guidance for a 25-year DOS, then Windows user?

Thanks.