What's new

"When I leave" feature not working

tilsonpa

Reaction score
I am 72 years old and am using my iPhone 4s to replace some of the memory I have lost. I forget this and don't remember that and etc...
However I am disappointed in the feature to "remind me when I leave". It just doesn't work well. Sometimes it seems to be unable to recognize the current address, accurately. And when it does know the current address, it doesn't remind me until I am about a mile away, which is too late. Does anyone else have this problem and do you know if Apple is working to correct this. It is a MUST for older people who can barely remember how to get home, let alone, "remember do this before I leave" and "remember to take that when I leave".

perhaps trying to set a reminder at a specific time just before you are set to leave, because the iPhone works in a way that has to "zone in" on your location and depending what signal is like or weather conditions can effect the results so for example if it has a bad signal it will generalize your position to a large area and as the signal gets better it will be able to more accurately find your position to within a few meters.

Not sure if you already do this but try creating the reminder when outside might help the accuracy.

I have entered the reminder indoors and outdoors and it doesn't matter. I have noticed that when I check the reminder that it sometimes has the incorrect address entered into the reminder. I have to delete it and move around and do it again. It shows the location of the "here" for the reminder "when I leave here". If the "here" location is wrong, I move around until it gets it right.

However this doesn't matter. It still waits until I am 1/2 mi to 1 mi away before it reminds me. This I don't understand. I have the Motion X GPS app installed and it knows in small increments where I am. It will say "turn left in 200 yards". Then as I get close to the place to turn, it says "turn here". It is able to recognize my change in location, quickly. And there are plenty of other things that tell me that Motion X has a quick response to where I am (within 50 to 100 feet).

That is why I don't understand why the iPhone cannot react faster to my current location as I am moving, and give me a warning when I am 50 feet away, or sooner. It does have only 1 GPS, is that not true? If Motion X has quick responses as I move, then the iPhone feature should also have the same information. As to one response I received, saying to set it to a time and have it remind me based on time, is no good. Who knows when they will be leaving, down to the minute.

If apple is advertising that the "when I leave feature" is a feature of the iPhone, make it work.