What's new

What make a good business card app?

DaveM

Reaction score
I know that business card apps should do a good job of using OCR to read the info from a card. Personally, I'd also like an app that keeps the photo of the original card so that I could go back and look at it if I want to. I'd need to be able to categorize these photos. I'd like to hear from anyone else who can share other features that I should look for in a good business card app, and if you'd like to recommend any particular one that you think is well designed that would be great too!

Going to bump this once in the hope that I might get a few responses. Doesn't anyone use a business card app?

I prefer ABBYY BCR with it's OCR. It has a cardHolder - archive, provides convenient business card search, sorting and grouping functionality.
Like their desktop OCR apps they are the best in this field. What do you think about it?

You may want to take a look at ScanBizCards - see http://www.scanbizcards.com
The app has a very long list of features - and a proprietary cloud sync service which lets you manage your cards on the web. Specifically to your points:
- the card image is central to everything and is store in the app digital rolodex but also as the images attached to the new contact (if you chose to save it to the address book)
- you can create as many folders as you like, and even hold a card in more than one folder
- using web sync, you can even share card folders with others

Patrick

I am using Face Card, It has some great features. It allows one to instantly exchange cards with someone else who also has an iPhone, but is useless if the other person uses any other type of device such as Andriod. Face Card doesn't allow you to customize the look of the card, which would be nice, but isn't essential. These are the features that I would look for in a perfect business card app:
1) The ability to add additional social media sites on the card such as Skype.
2) Find some creative way to send it to other devices besides iPhone and Android.
3) be able to put your picture on the card.
4) be able to receive various kinds of input from other devices, then create cards for new contacts as they develop.
If anyone knows of any business card apps like this let me know

I took a look at the scanbiz cards app above, the process of scanning paper cards could potentially consume quite a bit of time, but there are still quite a few people that still use paper cards. Being able to add additional social media urls to the card such as twitter and blogger, would make the card much more usable, but i'm going to give it a try and let you know what I think

An interesting question is: would the scanbizcards or ABBYY apps mentioned above be able to receive and store a persons Face Card quickly?

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses everyone. I decided to go with the ScanBizCards app. After having scanned in my first batch of cards I'm please overall. Considering everything the OCR works pretty well. I had to make some additions and corrections, but that's not a big deal to me. I'll never use most of the functions of this app, but the interface is nice and it does what I need.