What's new

What is the reason MAC spoofing no longer works? Workarounds?

RavenTBK

Reaction score
The topic says it all. Between iOS3 and iOS4, there was a change. Devices running iOS3 were able to easily change the hardware MAC addresses from the CLI, and beginning in iOS4 and beyond, those same devices could no longer do so.

Does anybody have a detailed technical reasoning as to why this change was made and how it was accomplished?

I can understand that A5 devices are built differently, and may have their addresses permanantly "burned in" (do they?), but whats the deal with A4 devices?

Basically, I have a desire to permanently adjust my wifi MAC address on my 4S. So far, the only things I have found are iapfree and the "nvram" trick. iapfree will only spoof a random mac, not a custom entry, and the nvram trick causes other undesirable things to happen.

I am not some teenager who wants to get into his schools' wifi, nor some college punk doing the same to gain access at a sorority house to look at their pictures.

I am attempting to make my 4S play nice as a hotspot to a deactivated Sprint Evo whose version of Android doesnt like to remain connected to the iPhone.

Changing the MAC address on the iPhone 4S isn't going to fix your stated goal of using it as a hot spot for an Android phone.

So please state the real goal if you want realistic help.

Oh and just to be clear I have been doing networking since 1986, so trying to BS me is going to be impossible. Because the only way the MAC address can come into play is if both device are identical. Which is roughly 281 trillion to 1. And since both companies where assigned MAC ranges, since the device where made in the last decade, it reduces the chances to zero.