What's new

What Does the 'i' in iPhone, iPad, etc. Really Mean?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
apple-i-name-meaning.jpg

Have you ever wondered what the "i" in your iPhone or iPad really means? What did Apple intend it to signify from the beginning? If you look back at Apple history, the answer is illuminated. The Apple "i" originally was originally intended to signify the Internet.

This comes from a presentation by Steve Jobs himself when introducing the iMac way back in 1998. Here's what he had to say, "“iMac comes from the marriage of the excitement of the Internet with the simplicity of Macintosh. We are targeting this for the no. 1 use that consumers tell us they want a computer for, which is to get on the Internet simply and fast.”

That's not all though. The slide shown above in the screen-cap was part of Jobs' presentation. He went on to explain that the "i" was also meant to signify qualities like individual, instruct, inform and inspire. Obviously, these terms didn't have any practical value directly associated with the product, but were a great marketing hook in order to connect consumers with the product.

Of course, over the years, not all the products that used the "i" could reasonably be connected to the use of the Internet. The iPod comes to mind. That just means the original meaning has evolved over the years from its original intent. It's almost like Apple products have become technological art and each owner can interpret them differently. Sound off and let us know what else you personally think the "i" could mean for your Apple devices.

Info Source: Yahoo