What's new

What are the top 10 reasons why Android has overtaken the iPhone?

Now that I am at a computer instead of on a phone, lets answer this top 10 properly.

In no particular order.

1) It's not an Apple product with a fixed price point.
2) Market applications on Android are cheaper or free.
3) Seven different screen resolutions, four different CPUs, four different GPUs result in over 170 different phones on the market which allow for price points from free to $300 for a two year contract.
4) Side loading apps (IE the ability to install apps from the SD card)
5) An SD card.
6) Screen sizes range from 4.3 inches down to 2.7 inches.
7) The ability to replace all of the "Stock applications" with custom one from the Market.
8) Widgets.
9) True application multitasking.
10) Adobe Flash.

I could go on but this list, in my opinion, represents why Apple is losing market share in the cellular phone arena at present.

It makes no difference, apple is the best. the retina display and the touch and all the confort of handling the apps and the device. I'm waiting for the iphone 6 by the way and it will be very very bad if it comes with an SD card holder in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It makes no difference, apple is the best. the retina display and the touch and all the confort of handling the apps and the device. I'm waiting for the iphone 6 by the way and it will be very very bad if it comes with an SD card holder in it.

Your opinion is duly noted. But be aware, your opinion of who is the best is contradicted by the current sales data that is being entered as fact.

cameroncrazy6683 pointed out that Navigation is a big selling point. And I have to agree. When using my iPhone 4 (3.5" display) vs my wife's Droid X (4.3" display) or even my Droid (3.7" display) for navigation, the Droid X display is larger and crisper at a 26" view distance (my eyes to the gps mounting point). The makes the Retina display a liability. Apple created a blessing and curse with defining Retina as 300+ PPI.

Apple will one day have to add SD cards to their devices. Consumers do not like the idea of a "locked in device" anymore.

Apple has already shown it is willing to adapt to consumers wants. Their switch to the Intel 80x86 based CPUs is a testament to that fact. If they want to stay competitive in the current cell phone market, they are going to have to offer larger displays at a bare minimum. Otherwise they will become stagnant and eventually die off.

No no you getting it wrong. Allow me to go out from the domain of iphone and droid for instance. Are you going to tell me that "toyota" os better that a "porsche or Lyncon or fera, or a lambo or a bent" still i think toyota is selling more than all those others. So android is cheap, the average of the public can buy an android easily, some times like one of your post stated upthere people get a droid for free hehehe. That's not the case with apple, here there is quality, and price for the quality, a price that not everyone can afford to pay. So whatever statistics you can pull out and showing that droid have this or that more than apple are correct and i won't argue with you on that, And again it's proving that droid is cheap and lack the perfection apple having.

And apple is not taking part of any compettion of phones in the market FYI they've never added flash despite how people screem about it, and i don't see them adding SD card either, who wants flash SD crad can go for a droid so that you know apple is not compating with other phone manufacture.

No no you getting it wrong. Allow me to go out from the domain of iphone and droid for instance. Are you going to tell me that "toyota" os better that a "porsche or Lyncon or fera, or a lambo or a bent" still i think toyota is selling more than all those others. So android is cheap, the average of the public can buy an android easily, some times like one of your post stated upthere people get a droid for free hehehe. That's not the case with apple, here there is quality, and price for the quality, a price that not everyone can afford to pay. So whatever statistics you can pull out and showing that droid have this or that more than apple are correct and i won't argue with you on that, And again it's proving that droid is cheap and lack the perfection apple having.

Lets see.... Number 1 car manufacturer in the world is Toyota. The public made that happen.

You can argue quality over sales all you want. It doesn't change the fact that the PUBLIC voted with THEIR money.

And anyone that uses the "I am better because I can afford something more expensive" needs to get their head examined.

Oh BTW, there has never been a single Toyota vehicle removed from a racing body due to manufacturing defects. Lamborghini was removed from ALMS and Le Mans due to poor manufacturing of the rear end suspension that made the car to dangerous to even drive on a racing circuit.

Doesn't Lamborghini make more expensive cars than Toyota? Aren't they supposed to be better?

That is why your argument fails.

And apple is not taking part of any compettion of phones in the market FYI they've never added flash despite how people screem about it, and i don't see them adding SD card either, who wants flash SD crad can go for a droid so that you know apple is not compating with other phone manufacture.

They didn't add Flash because Apple wants to control the sales of applications. Flash would allow any app from the Web to be run and circumvent that control.

And the last part of your run-on sentence I can't make out.

:) i took that exemple just to be able to show my point of view, but there is no way you can compare a lambo vs toyota, my friend drop it down and leave it alone. The same goes for the iPhone and the droid. It's not usefull yo compare 2 incomlarable things, unless you are in the mood to kill some free times :)

[
And the last part of your run-on sentence I can't make out.

Yeah i know, i know i'm making a lot of mistakes mainly typing mistakes but also i'm not english native speaker so... But yeah it shouldn't be an excuse, i will try paying more attention to my typing :)

Top 10 Reason Why (Not in Order)

1. SD Card Slots
2. Removable Battery
3. Easy to Download Free Music
4. More Variety and Choices
5. Bigger Screen, better for movies/videos/internet/texting
6. Available on more Carriers
7. Better Cameras
8. Android Market is growing faster
9. Flash Support
10. Better Voice Commands
11. Better Call Quality; It also lets you hold the phone any way you want without dropping calls
12. Faster
13. Kickstands built in/kickstand cases

Here we go again... So IPHONEsucks hein???

:) i took that exemple just to be able to show my point of view, but there is no way you can compare a lambo vs toyota, my friend drop it down and leave it alone. The same goes for the iPhone and the droid. It's not usefull yo compare 2 incomlarable things, unless you are in the mood to kill some free times :)

I have all the time in the world to discuss factual information. I am a big proponent of that.

And I can compare a Lamborghini to a Toyota as well as an iOS based phone to an Android based phone. A car is a car. A phone is a phone.

Don't try to belittle the facts when they don't suit your needs. And please do not ever try to defend an opinion as fact. That would go beyond ignorance.

Don't try to belittle the facts when they don't suit your needs. And please do not ever try to defend an opinion as fact. That would go beyond ignorance.
It's a fact that droid can not equal iPhone and iPhone can not equal droid. No matter whatever top 10 you will state it won't change that fact. Call it ignorance or beyong ignorance if you want and if it makes u happy :) also u know apple is not even compating droid. Apple has pros and cons, so does the droid to me. The os are not the same and you can't have exact thing on differents OS you compare 2things alikes, iOS is unique, droid is public.

It's a fact that droid can not equal iPhone and iPhone can not equal droid. No matter whatever top 10 you will state it won't change that fact. Call it ignorance or beyong ignorance if you want and if it makes u happy :) also u know apple is not even compating droid. Apple has pros and cons, so does the droid to me. The os are not the same and you can't have exact thing on differents OS you compare 2things alikes, iOS is unique, droid is public.

Actually Android and iOS are both *nix based operating systems. The only difference is the branch/fork of the *nix used.

So comparing them is very easy to do. I know both of their strengths and both of their weaknesses. In fact the best way to say it is:

Androids strengths are its weaknesses.
iOS weaknesses are its strengths.

Let me give you a prime example.

Androids true multitasking strength is a huge weakness.
iOS lack of true multitasking is its strength.

This is because Android can become so bogged down with processes that the hardware can't wake up the necessary application to answer a call, SMS or MMS in the time frame allotted.

Where as the lack of this in iOS means you never have to worry about missing a call, SMS or MMS.

I use an iPhone for my every day phone because it is a BETTER phone than Android can currently provide. But the second Google and the phone makers get their act together, I will dump this iPhone in a second. The pure lack of options, because of Apples locked down mentality, is what drives people to Android. Apple will either adapt or be left further behind. iOS 5 will tell the tale on its choice to be stuck in the past or embrace the current cell phone users demands and define a new future.

I got ur point and amount all your comments i agree with this one, and the only point i still do no agree is apple going along with the demand of the public which you know they will not, as you mentioned if they will provide everything the public want, their devices will not be reliable anymore, but like you said, let's see what iOS5 will bring up like new features and changes. I'm pretty sure that they will stay in Apple loops like always, no big big surprises like flash added or sd card reader etc... But let's wait and see.

Because iOS has only 2 phones that can currently run the latest software. Android has hundreds of phones that are using very fragmented software. In proportion iOS is bigger.

ahh really??? Thanks for the info, it's crutial to know this one :)

Yes really, the thread opener asked and I answered, it is the main reason and your sarcasm fails because of this.

Because iOS has only 2 phones that can currently run the latest software. Android has hundreds of phones that are using very fragmented software. In proportion iOS is bigger.

ahh really??? Thanks for the info, it's crutial to know this one :)

Yes really, the thread opener asked and I answered, it is the main reason and your sarcasm fails because of this.

I've noticed that too :) but i never mind.