What's new

Wallpaper image gets duplicated

Michael Graubart

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 3G. As my wallpaper, I have selected one of the wallpaper images provided in the phone. When i sync with my computer (Mac mini, OS 10.8.5) that wallpaper image appears in Photo Roll on the phone. There is nothing in iPhoto, but when I sync next time, that image appears twice in Photo Roll, and so on, apparently indefinitely! Why is this happening, and what can I do to prevent it?

Thank you in anticipation of help.

Last edited:
I have made a discovery concerning this bizarre phenomenon. It has nothing to do with syncing.

I keep my 'phone in a soft, felt-like Apple pouch. If I withdraw it only just enough to allow me to switch on the 'phone by means of the on-off button at the top (not the Home button at the bottom), the 'phone sometimes photographs its own startup screen — wallpaper, time, date and all. I have not been able to discover why it does this sometimes but not always, nor why it does it at all, though it may have something to do with the pressure exerted by the thumb of my left hand (holding the 'phone in its pouch) as I press the on-off button with my right hand. So the syncing mystery has dissolved, only to be replaced by another.

I now know how to prevent my album from filling up with unwanted replicas of the startup screen, but I should still be interested to learn what the reason for this strange behaviour is.

I have made a discovery concerning this bizarre phenomenon. It has nothing to do with syncing. I keep my 'phone in a soft, felt-like Apple pouch. If I withdraw it only just enough to allow me to switch on the 'phone by means of the on-off button at the top (not the Home button at the bottom), the 'phone sometimes photographs its own startup screen — wallpaper, time, date and all. I have not been able to discover why it does this sometimes but not always, nor why it does it at all, though it may have something to do with the pressure exerted by the thumb of my left hand (holding the 'phone in its pouch) as I press the on-off button with my right hand. So the syncing mystery has dissolved, only to be replaced by another. I now know how to prevent my album from filling up with unwanted replicas of the startup screen, but I should still be interested to learn what the reason for this strange behaviour is.
Have you tried a hard reset? Press both the top lock/power button and the home button at the same time until you see the Apple logo. Then release.

The phone takes a picture of whatever is being displayed (i.e. the lockskreen) when you press the home button and the sleep button simultaneously. The camera mode can be accessed bty a flick of the lockscreen. I am uncleasr oof the action you are trying to describe that you are doing when you try to remove your phone from its case but maybe you can find a clue in what I wrote. GL

That's the answer! I had no idea that one could take a screen-shot in that way. I must have been unintentionally pressing on the home button through the soft case while switching on with the sleep button. So no need for a hard reset; wouldn't that have meant that I would have to redo all the 'phone's settings? Thank you both for very useful answers.