What's new

Walkie talkie apps?

TGTyler

Reaction score
I've seen a few walkie talkie apps, but most have non favorable reviews. Would be handy for around house, out in the yard etc...

Thanks.

try using "heyTell" both on iphone and android so you can use with multiple ppl

I can't imagine using a truly walkie-talkie function on a phone. Seems like the phone carrier's network would have to be involved, and that would produce major lag time. But..... I'm not sure. Can anyone clarify?

the app that i recommended "heytell" works really well ... i use it a lot . its not exactly like a walkie talkie to where you talk and they automatically hear you. you record your message while holding down the "talk" button and then the other person receives it and so on and so forth

Does it use Blueooth to communication? (Surly most of the apps does)

Does it use Blueooth to communication? (Surly most of the apps does)

Good question, and I don't know the answer, sorry. However, I researched and found that it requires the Internet to transmit the voice messages (wi-fi or cellular data). I had thought that it required ATT or Verizon's network, which is not so.

Seems interesting! But in my opinion, I'd rather get an actual walkie talkie instead of using wifi or bluetooth that will just consume my iPhone's battery xD

It does pretty well if you lock them both in hands-free mode and send them to the background. It'll go on for most of the day or night like that, using the iPhone's efficient background VOIP mode.

Sort of like with cameras, the most useful devices are the ones you have with you :) usually it's my phone.

I could check that out once the population of IP4's in my circle of friends increase xD They cost a lot over here, that's why..

TiKL works as a walkie talkie.. even on android as well.

You press and hold the middle button to talk then it goes to the other user.. and you can hold conversations like that.

No voice recordings.. its at an instant.