What's new

Walk into store & buy 5S (unlocked)

maximus27

Reaction score
Hi guys

It still seems almost impossible to get an unlocked iPhone in most Apple stores with personal pickup. Does that mean it's equally not possible to just walk into those stores and buy the phone?

The demand for the 5S is still fairly high. There will be supply in your local Apple Store, but it'll be much lower than the supply of older devices. It's best to order it online where it's guaranteed rather than constantly approaching the store and turning around empty handed.

The ETA availability is significantly lower than it was several weeks ago, even more so than the initial release.

Delivery is now down to 1-2 weeks, much better than it was.

Delivery is not an option, as I will be in the States only for 10 days and I don't wanna risk it arriving too late.

But what I do get from your answers is that the lack of the pickup option doesn't necessarily mean the stores don't have any at all, so there's hope!

Apple stores almost like that,so you can just do online shopping.There 's a little problem.The shipping is a little slow.So if you don't need it on time.You can buy it online.

So if I go to a Apple store the 5s it will be fully unlocked? To use with any GSM carrier in the United States?
On the website there is no option for Unlocked. (only T-Mobile)

I will need it to work on AT&T but I thought for resale value if there is an unlocked version it would be better to get.

Thanks

So if I go to a Apple store the 5s it will be fully unlocked? To use with any GSM carrier in the United States?
On the website there is no option for Unlocked. (only T-Mobile)

I will need it to work on AT&T but I thought for resale value if there is an unlocked version it would be better to get.

Thanks

In the UK the apple store sell them unlocked so I would check with your local Apple Store

Apple stores almost like that,so you can just do online shopping.There 's a little problem.The shipping is a little slow.So if you don't need it on time.You can buy it online.

no, i can't. i just explained why.

@IOS_User: T-Mobile = Unlocked

@IOS_User: T-Mobile = Unlocked

Thanks for the info but I just chatted with Apple and they said that phone will not work with AT&T. They said a Unlocked version is not released.

Last edited:
An unlocked phone can be used with any GSM carrier, I don't see why that shouldn't be possible with AT&T, after all they make a better deal if they don't subsidize your phone.

And a SIM lock obviously doesn't last forever.

An unlocked phone can be used with any GSM carrier, I don't see why that shouldn't be possible with AT&T, after all they make a better deal if they don't subsidize your phone.

And a SIM lock obviously doesn't last forever.

A note. The iPhone 4S has only a single model that supports both GSM and CDMA.

The iPhone 5, 5C, 5S have 2 models: a GSM and a world. Either devices will work for GSM models. If you're using it with a CDMA carrier, you'll need a world model. When you purchase the unlocked device, you should be able to request for either the world or the "regular", which is GSM.

Ehm, no. There is no such thing as a 'world model'. iPhone comes in 2 CDMA and 5 GSM models (check wikipedia), and the only difference in the GSM models are the LTE bands afaik.

But that isn't really the topic here in any case.

Edit: Did some research and you are right, the US CDMA model seems to support GSM as well and the Verizon phones seem to be unlocked. This is probably what you mean by 'world phone' I suppose.

Last edited: