What's new

Voice Recognition on iPhone is awful

fwarren

Reaction score
I love my iPhone but the voice recognition s/w sucks. The voice app for Droid is exceptional and very accurate. Will there be a capability upgrade for our old iphone 4's? Might there be an app that integrates withthephone for voice texting, voice emails, and voice contacts.​

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I have read the basic voice recognition software on 3GS and 4 has reached the limit of its development. All energy is going into Siri. They have reported that Siri will join the iPad 2 and 3 in march with the release of 3. Probably trying to refine it with one product before releasing full version. That's all I have heard.

I was afraid of that. With the millions of 4 models out there, you'd think they would still try to "fix" it. BUT you are probably right. Maybe someon willcome up with an app that interfaces with the OIS

yea i was reading yesterday that siri has already been successfully ported over to the iphone 4, with a minor glitch. some speculated that siri requires certain hardware to run thus only being on the iphone 4s. however this sint true. there is no way that a voice recognition system the size of siri would run on any 3g or 4g data properly. sisri actually has its own servers designed specifically for the software that allows it run smoothly. this is another reason why it is so difficult to port to other iphone models. apple can block foreign phones through these servers. not to worry though, the emphasis on it being exclusive is solely to promote iphone 4s sales. im confident it will be on the iphone 4 before too long. it is still in beta. ive played on it from a buddies phone and it is very sensitive, picks up all the background noise rendering it useless unless you are in a library. apps like vlingo work pretty well

The minor glitch was a GPU driver missing for Siri to work smoothly on the iP4. That has been sorted now and Siri now works more or less perfectly on the iP4.

so now we wait !!! wish there would be a way to do this without jailbreaking... i have rooted many android phones and found it to be high maintenance. reason i bought an iphone is because it just works, all the time. would love to have siri, but if i had to jailbreak to get it, it would bve a difficult decision

But the iPhone can't connect to the apple servers for dictation that's another issue

But the iPhone can't connect to the apple servers for dictation that's another issue

Very true but time will tell. Has we know there are some amazing people out there that have made the impossible, possible.

The thing is that they have proved though that the iP4 is completely capable of running something such as Siri were lot's of people said that the iP4 hardware wasn't up to scratch.

I for one aren't to bothered if it comes to the iP4 or not. I like the idea of it but can't really see any real world use for it to be honest. I got a phone to make phonecalls, not to ask it what the weather is like and such instead of looking out of my window to see for myself :)

On contrare, It makes it so much easier ad especially safer when you are driving to send text messages, dial numbers, and email. I REALLY miss the Droid voice recci.

you can still send texts, make calls, ect with voice control... in fact apple did add some more features to the voice control in ios 5 , here is a link
Voice Control: While not as shiny as the iPhone 4S’s new Siri voice recognition feature, iOS 5 does expand Voice Control in one notable way: You can now use it to make FaceTime calls in addition to traditional phone calls.
Apple iOS 5 Mobile Review | Macworld

Personally I think Siri has some great features but I'm not jumping to get it...I really think it needs to be tested more for the eventual release of iP5.

The one thing I would like is confirmation of a command before it dials. My old phone at least asked me before it dialed. Iphone does not do that. It just dials.