What's new

Voice Recognition. Has It Always Been This Good

hookbill

Reaction score
One of the things about the iPhone 5 that really blows me away is the way it handles voice recognition. You see my name, hookbill. Hookbill is a a sub species of the parrot family, most of the birds are well known like budgies (commonly referred to as parakeets) to your African Grays and the larger cockatoos and macaws. My avatar is a Blue and Gold Macaw.

Anyway these birds are loud when they want to be. Feeding and cleaning seems to be a good idea for this for some reason. I had my XM radio on turned up high through my Bowes sound bar to try and drown them out while I was working. My wife is trying to contact me by Gtalk. Around the 7th try I became aware of it, and she was upset about something. Well, I had garbage all over my hands so I just tapped the microphone and spoke a response back to her in desperation.

It caught every word, I was truly amazed. I could see the microphone blazing from all the noise but somehow it sorted through it all and picked up my words. Absolutely incredible. Is this new with iPhone 5, IOS 6, or has it always been this good?

One of the things about the iPhone 5 that really blows me away is the way it handles voice recognition. You see my name, hookbill. Hookbill is a a sub species of the parrot family, most of the birds are well known like budgies (commonly referred to as parakeets) to your African Grays and the larger cockatoos and macaws. My avatar is a Blue and Gold Macaw.

Anyway these birds are loud when they want to be. Feeding and cleaning seems to be a good idea for this for some reason. I had my XM radio on turned up high through my Bowes sound bar to try and drown them out while I was working. My wife is trying to contact me by Gtalk. Around the 7th try I became aware of it, and she was upset about something. Well, I had garbage all over my hands so I just tapped the microphone and spoke a response back to her in desperation.

It caught every word, I was truly amazed. I could see the microphone blazing from all the noise but somehow it sorted through it all and picked up my words. Absolutely incredible. Is this new with iPhone 5, IOS 6, or has it always been this good?

iOS 5 is probably where they made the largest leap in regards to noise canceling software. iOS 6 does improve on it however. But the iPhone 5 has better mics even compared to the iPhone 4S. Which means it has a better ability to pick up exactly which direction a voice is coming from and how to phase shift out the remaining background noise. So while the iPhone 4S is good at it, the 5 is currently king on that front in my opinion.

Thanks Skull. That is one area where I can guarantee iPhone kicks tail over Android. Just amazing.