What's new

Verizon Starts Throttling Unlimited Data 3G Customers

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
verizon-logo.JPG

9to5 Mac is reporting today that Verizon has just posted a “Data Disclosure” page, which sets out its plans to throttle the top 5% of its data users, who are using at least 2GB of data per month. 9to5 Mac notes that this plan, which started on September 15, is probably most likely to affect those people who bought a Verizon iPhone 4 3G unlimited plan when the phone first launched on Verizon earlier this year. According to documents published by 9to5 Mac, Verizon refers to the throttling as “Network Optimization”, and says that only those with 3G Verizon devices with unlimited data plans will be affected, adding that those with 4G LTE devices will not be affected. As 9to5 Mac points out, Apple doesn’t have a 4G LTE device yet, so Verizon could be seen in one way to be giving customers a reason to choose a device other than the iPhone or iPad. It is also advising those affected to use Wi-Fi more often, or to switch to one of its usage-based (tiered) data plans. On the other hand, if they don’t like any of those suggestions, they might choose to ditch Verizon altogether when Sprint gets the new iPhone in a few weeks time and introduces its own, un-throttled, unlimited plans!

Source: Verizon begins throttling iPhone unlimited 3G customers who use 2GB/month | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

I'm willing to bet that more than 5% of users are using 2GB+ data. Verizon just keeps getting worse... If sprint had better coverage, I'd drop Verizon ASAP.

Welp.... There goes my Verizon contract. Stupid Verizon is getting worse by the day...

Sent from The Droid... The one you were looking for...

darkstar2007 said:
I'm willing to bet that more than 5% of users are using 2GB+ data. Verizon just keeps getting worse... If sprint had better coverage, I'd drop Verizon ASAP.

Yes only a few months left on my contract If they throttle me. I'm going to have to go to metropcs or cricket. But I shouldn't worry I barely use 100mb of data.

Today was the first time in 12 years that I walked into a competitors store to check their plans out. And this is the reason. Grandfathered unlimited is restricted now, and I usually don't go over 2 gigs, and I'm shopping around now.

But I figure Verizon wants customers to leave, with all the data changes and restrictions, thinking Verizon is getting more customers then they can handle.

Last edited:
Trucksmoveamerica said:
Today was the first time in 12 years that I walked into a competitors store to check their plans out. And this is the reason. Grandfathered unlimited is restricted now, and I usually don't go over 2 gigs, and I'm shopping around now.

But I figure Verizon wants customers to leave, with all the data changes and restrictions, thinking Verizon is getting more customers then they can handle.

Wow. I do it everyday. Ha. Not really.

its a shame as more people want the unlimited data the carriers are forced into limiting the data to such low limits.

Sounds like it is only going to be the top 5% of people who go over the 2gb. I am sure there are plenty more people who go over. Probably like 10-15%. Hopefully I am not in that top 5%. I doubt I am.

I just dont understand why verizon is soooooo keen on LOSING all of it's customers!!!!!!! They haven't made one decision with their customers as the first priority since unlimted data. But that's ok because they got rid of that too.

I just dont understand why verizon is soooooo keen on LOSING all of it's customers!!!!!!! They haven't made one decision with their customers as the first priority since unlimted data. But that's ok because they got rid of that too.

When your the largest carrier in the nation, you can be the big bully in the school yard.

When your the largest carrier in the nation, you can be the big bully in the school yard.

Which is why government needs to step in and stop these carriers from getting this big. Right now Verizon is at&t's worse enemy in their journey trying to buy t-mobile. All the government needs to is watch what Verizon is doing with their power of size.

Trucksmoveamerica said:
Which is why government needs to step in and stop these carriers from getting this big. Right now Verizon is at&t's worse enemy in their journey trying to buy t-mobile. All the government needs to is watch what Verizon is doing with their power of size.

The biggest problem for the AT&T merger is the department of justice.

Trucksmoveamerica said:

The biggest problem for the AT&T merger is the department of justice.

I understand that, but all someone that opposes the merger has to do is point out to the DOJ everything Verizon has been taking away from customers since they became number one carrier and make the argument that lack of competition causes this. If I remember right, I think sprint did do that, not sure. This is what I mean by Verizon being AT&T worse enemy for their buying t-mobile and the DOJ is on the right track IMO.

Trucksmoveamerica said:
I understand that, but all someone that opposes the merger has to do is point out to the DOJ everything Verizon has been taking away from customers since they became number one carrier and make the argument that lack of competition causes this. If I remember right, I think sprint did do that, not sure. This is what I mean by Verizon being AT&T worse enemy for their buying t-mobile and the DOJ is on the right track IMO.

I agree.