What's new

Verizon iPhone 4 changes affect bumpers?

TfromFl

Reaction score
I understand that the "improvements" to the external antenna have moved the volume buttons and the ring/vibrate button down "ever-so-slightly" (as it was put in a review).

1) Are there new bumpers out yet with these adjustments?
2) If not, do the bumpers that have been on the market since the introduction of AT&T's iPhone 4 function properly?
3) Or, are they bumpers that we have to "settle for" for now, until the case makers make adjustments to these subtle changes in the iP4?

I saw a side-by-side picture both phones (AT&T and Verizon). It looks like to me that the slight lowering of these functions ARE enough to affect the compatibility of bumpers to allow the user to operate them.

I have since visited the Verizon store and answered my own question. If anyone else is wondering, here is the answer.

The bumpers that have a complete cut-out in the area of the volume + & - buttons and the ring/vibrate toggle have no affect and are not noticeable at all with the Verizon phone. However, with the bumper like I have, (which has little rubber buttons for the volume control and a small cut-out for the ring/vibrate), it is obvious that there is a difference but the bumper will still function. The only thing is, the ring/vibrate toggle is just slightly out of the window a little but it's not bad. Why this was such a concern for me is, I bought a nice bumper made by "incipio" from walmart for 19 bucks. I didn't just settle for it but, actually like it better than the ones of the same name at Verizon and AT&T that cost 30 bucks. The ones for 30 bucks have a complete cut-out in the area in question and are not as nice.

I have since visited the Verizon store and answered my own question. If anyone else is wondering, here is the answer.

The bumpers that have a complete cut-out in the area of the volume + & - buttons and the ring/vibrate toggle have no affect and are not noticeable at all with the Verizon phone. However, with the bumper like I have, (which has little rubber buttons for the volume control and a small cut-out for the ring/vibrate), it is obvious that there is a difference but the bumper will still function. The only thing is, the ring/vibrate toggle is just slightly out of the window a little but it's not bad. Why this was such a concern for me is, I bought a nice bumper made by "incipio" from walmart for 19 bucks. I didn't just settle for it but, actually like it better than the ones of the same name at Verizon and AT&T that cost 30 bucks. The ones for 30 bucks have a complete cut-out in the area in question and are not as nice.

Yay answering own questions lol But to go further, it all depends on who makes it. Apple has a universal one, I bought one on eBay that is universal, and just plain ol' silicon and it was like $4.

a LOT online are still just GSM versions, so be careful everyone... lol

The GSM version isn't bad at all, if you can get it for less than $5 with shipping online then it could be an option. Its been fine for me personally.

Correct, the Apple bumpers are a universal fit. They just enlarged the silent switch hole to accomodate. And for the record, the volume buttons didnt move, only the silent toggle.

I had used a rubber case off Ebay and it started to stretch and didnt fit so well after 2 weeks. So i went to the Apple store and paid the fortune to get the official bumper. I got neon green since I like the color.

After only a couple of days the green started turning brown from handling, dirt, etc. So I decided to mod the bumper. Good ol RIT dye, boiling water and an hour later I got the effect i wanted! The plastic didnt dye since it is non pourous, and thats exactly what I was hoping for.

Apple should have done something like this on their own... but oh well. And in case anyone is wondering, I got the Carbon Fiber 3M back glass protector for $4.95 shipped on Ebay.

Before:

green1.jpg

green2.jpg

After:

SNC00034.jpg

SNC00031.jpg

i dont care for the bumpers. i got the body glove case. the griffn survivor i had was just a llittle too bulky and hard to hit buttons on the edges

Nice job on the phone J! I like it! I will have to look up that carbon fiber back, even though the bumper I have has a back on it, still it's cheaper than what you can buy at Best Buy. I didn't know that about the buttons but that makes sense because the guy at Verizon let me put his phone in my bumper last night and the buttons functioned fine but the switch was a little off (you could still switch it though). That's all neither here nor there anymore though because I've made up my mind today to stay with AT&T after much extensive research. I'm not going to read any more articles that could sway my decision. I've made up my mind and I'm sticking to it...I think.

I like a bumper okay myself, I developed a habit with my BlackBerry of keeping it in my shirt pocket, now with the iPhone, I can't go much more than a bumper or it will be a pain getting in and out. Thanks for the replies on this.