What's new

Upgrading your iPhone when the new one comes out

Tricon7

Reaction score
When the new iPhone 5 inevitably comes out in the future and someone with an iPhone 4 (or less) wants to get it, do you have to sell your old one to recoup your money? Turn it in to Apple for a credit toward the new one? How does that work? And if you upgrade to a newer phone, how does that affect your AT&T/Verizon contract?

Depends if ;

You contract is up for renewal.
If a new contract has a good monthly cost.
If you dont have the disposable income to buy an ip5, then a choice is to sell your ip4.

Also depends if the ip5 brings anything new and excitable to the table.

Depends if ;

If you dont have the disposable income to buy an ip5, then a choice is to sell your ip4.

According to the Verizon reps I talked to, when my 2-year contract runs out, I can just go month-to-month and keep my current unlimited data plan. Forever if I want. But I don't know it that changes if I upgrade to a newer iPhone.

Depends if ;

According to the Verizon reps I talked to, when my 2-year contract runs out, I can just go month-to-month and keep my current unlimited data plan. Forever if I want. But I don't know it that changes if I upgrade to a newer iPhone.

If that's true I'd be set. I get off of contract next February. So I'll be a little late on the 5.

Depends if ;

If that's true I'd be set. I get off of contract next February. So I'll be a little late on the 5.

I'm going to call Verizon Wireless again today and see if they can't confirm that I can keep my unlimited data plan as long as I keep my contract (and weren't just telling me what I wanted to hear when I signed the contract), as well as what happens if/when I upgrade to a newer iPhone.

You can call but VZW has already publicly stated you can upgrade the phone when ever you want and it won't change your contract. That policy has been in place for over a decade. The only time your contract can change is when:

1) You ask for a change (IE family to single or other way around).
2) You change to a different technology phone (IE dumb to feature to smart phone).

BTW this is all stipulated in the contract you signed when you got your service with VZW.

You can call but VZW has already publicly stated you can upgrade the phone when ever you want and it won't change your contract. That policy has been in place for over a decade. The only time your contract can change is when:

1) You ask for a change (IE family to single or other way around).
2) You change to a different technology phone (IE dumb to feature to smart phone).

BTW this is all stipulated in the contract you signed when you got your service with VZW.

In my case my contract will be over in February 2012 just a year after i got the iPhone. Being that my contract will be over I definitely won't be eligible for that. But just in case I can pull some kind of string I'll be good. It's not like I will die without the

HUH???

Let me make this clearer.

You are eligible at ANY TIME to change your phone during the life of your contract (whether month to month or under a 1/2 year agreement). The only thing that gets affected is the PRICE of the phone you are buying. If you are not within 3 months of your contract end, then you must pay full retail. If you are 3 months or less (or already month to month) then you are allowed to reset your contract time frame and pay the price for either a 1 or 2 year agreement. This DOES NOT CHANGE your contract terms. It simply LOCKS you into the contract for more time.

I knew it was too good to be true.

According to the local Verizon Wireless rep I talked to on the phone, if I ever upgrade to a newer iPhone my current contract with my new iPhone 4 is invalidated, and - surprise - I would have to create a brand-new contract (i.e., goodbye unlmited data plan). It's not a problem now, but down the road, when the iPhone 5 or 6 or 7 comes out, sure, I can keep my current contract month-to-month with unlimited data. But by then my iPhone 4 will be an antique.

Maybe in the future unlimited data plans will be commonplace, like long-distance calling is now (compared to 10 years ago when you had toll charges). But for some reason, I doubt it. It's the cell carriers golden goose. They're never going to have unlimited data plans again, especially considering how much people communicate and do business on the Internet now.

Your Verizon rep is WRONG. Verizon's twitter account posted that your contract will not change if you only update the device. PERIOD. I don't know how many times I have to type this fact.

Your Verizon rep is WRONG. Verizon's twitter account posted that your contract will not change if you only update the device. PERIOD. I don't know how many times I have to type this fact.

Is there an online source I can access for that? Not that I doubt you, but I would have to counter her word with something official from Verizon, since she works for the company and may just be ignorant. I had to do something like this once before with Cisco when their ignorant reps kept telling me wrong information, and I had to direct them to a page on their own website telling them otherwise.