What's new

Updating Jailbroken Iphone

iphone4life1

Reaction score
Hoping someone can give me a bit of clarification as far as updating a Jailbroken iphone. I have had my phone jailbroken for a while now and have never updated it. How do you do this. Wait until there is a jailbreak out for the latest version on apples software, upgrade, and then re jailbreak? What happens to your apps from cydia if you do this? For example what would happen if I would just plug my jailbroken phone into my computer right now and upgrade to the latest version of software? Reason I'm asking is I eventually want to possibly upgrade to IOS5 after I hear some reviews on it and they get the bugs worked out. I just don't know how, and if this is even possible. Thanks in advance for the help.

If you update your jailbroken phone then the jailbreak will be gone, you will only be able to jailbreak if there is one for the version you upgraded to. Cydia apps will no longer be available.

Ok, thanks for the info. So for example say that there is a jailbreak for the current version I would be upgrading to how would I go about updating. Just download the most current version of software and ten re-jailbreak?....and if I do this what exactly happens to all the jailbroken cydia apps & themes that I would of currently had on my iPhone before upgrading to the most current version of the software?

what exactly happens to all the jailbroken cydia apps & themes

i wouldn't just go start installing what you had before.... Very few cydia apps have been updated to work on iOS 5 the same goes for themes they WILL NOT WORK on iOS 5 as apple decided to rename A LOT of the files and as of this morning none that i know of have been ported to work on iOS 5.

On another note winterboard which is needed for 90% of the themes doesn't yet work.... from what i understand it should be working in the next few weeks.