What's new

unwanted data sends

baumanja

Reaction score
Some app on my 4s is sending data anywhere from 5-20 times a day when I'm not doing anything on the phone. The data usage report shows each instance as "Internet/MEdia Net". These "sends" are costing me data minutes even though most happen when WiFi is active and connected. How do I track down which app is doing this? I've had one month of "extra data use charge" and will have more if I can't stop this.

baumanja said:
Some app on my 4s is sending data anywhere from 5-20 times a day when I'm not doing anything on the phone. The data usage report shows each instance as "Internet/MEdia Net". These "sends" are costing me data minutes even though most happen when WiFi is active and connected. How do I track down which app is doing this? I've had one month of "extra data use charge" and will have more if I can't stop this.

Double click your round button on the end of your phone. That will bring up a load of apps. Keep your finger on one of them until you get a red symbol. Delete all of ones you are not using. If that doesn't do hold the sleep and hold button together until the apple logo appears. It that doesn't work do a restore/ backup with iTunes .. Are you jailbroken??

I don't think it's an "open" app. I regularly shut down all apps I'm not using. I feel it's some app that is doing some background data send just as part of being installed on my phone; is that possible? I'm trying to avoid deleting numerous apps in an attempt to eliminate it, but I'm getting closer to doing that. I did just reboot the phone; we'll see if the behavior continues. I was hoping there was some way to track which apps were interacting with the Internet.

If you were jailbroken, there are tweaks specifically made to track how much data any app uses throughout the day/week/month.

Here are a few things you can try.

General>About>Diagnostics & Usage>Don't Send

Settings>Location Services>System Services> Off (all of them)

See if either of those work. If not, then try turning all of you location services off and see if that works. YOu can then turn them on one by one and find the culprit.