What's new

Unlocking an Iphone 4S for Boost or Virgin Mobile?

out_of_my_league

Reaction score
I have a black berry curve on boost mobile's network. So there's no sim card. I could easily transfer my service over to Virgin Mobile if I needed too, though.

I know and understand that most iphones are made on GSM networks and can't be unlocked for CDMA networks. Got that part.

My questions are:

What are the loop holes? I saw somewhere that if you have a sim card you can unlock any iphone and just insert it. Is that true?

Since Boost and VM are under Sprint's network, is Sprint considered a CDMA network? Could I buy an unlocked Sprint phone and just use Boost?

I am the epitome of a begginner when it comes to this type of thing. So if you start with the tech talk I probably won't understand, so please put things as simply as you can. I'll always ask questions regardless, though.

Thanks!

Gevey Ultra SIM is what you're looking for. The 4S is a dual-band phone, meaning it supports GSM and CDMA. It's just a matter of whether or not your network or international network is a GSM or a CDMA carrier. The Gevey SIM only works on iOS 5.1.1 and certain basebands at the moment. There are 2 types of SIMs, one for GSM only and one that works for both GSM and CDMA. There's a bit of a price difference but definitely worth it. I have the CDMA/GSM SIM and so far I haven't been disappointed by it yet.

lol these tech terms are going over my head. Boost Mobile is CDMA. So are you saying I can buy any carrier's 4S and unlock it since it's a dual band phone? Also, where do you get these sim cards? Which network is your sim card under?

btw thanks for responding! I thought no one was interested in helping me lol.