What's new

Unlocked iPhone 5 = No Mobile Network?

Mae

Reaction score
Hello, recently I got an unlocked iPhone 5 and I'm in need of some help. I'm not very tech savvy so bear with me haha. I went to AT&T got the nano sim doing the pay as you go type plan. Everything was great until we were driving around and I tried to look something up on the internet. Nothing was loading up so I figured I just needed to connect to AT&T's network? Kept retrying and waiting and no sign of AT&T popping up. Went home, it of course works go back out somewhere and I can't get internet. So today I went to AT&T asking about how I could get on their "mobile network". I hope we were on the same page (I'm so bad at these terms!) and she basically said there was no way I'd be able to connect with them with my unlocked model. Saying something about towers being different and saying only contract users could do it. Not knowing what else to say I left pretty disappointed. Tried doing some googling but I'm finding nothing on this. So, is there absolutely no way I can use this "mobile network" thing on my unlocked model? Or is there something I can do? Sorry I'm such a newbie so help would be greatly appreciated :)

Mae said:
Hello, recently I got an unlocked iPhone 5 and I'm in need of some help. I'm not very tech savvy so bear with me haha. I went to AT&T got the nano sim doing the pay as you go type plan. Everything was great until we were driving around and I tried to look something up on the internet. Nothing was loading up so I figured I just needed to connect to AT&T's network? Kept retrying and waiting and no sign of AT&T popping up. Went home, it of course works go back out somewhere and I can't get internet. So today I went to AT&T asking about how I could get on their "mobile network". I hope we were on the same page (I'm so bad at these terms!) and she basically said there was no way I'd be able to connect with them with my unlocked model. Saying something about towers being different and saying only contract users could do it. Not knowing what else to say I left pretty disappointed. Tried doing some googling but I'm finding nothing on this. So, is there absolutely no way I can use this "mobile network" thing on my unlocked model? Or is there something I can do? Sorry I'm such a newbie so help would be greatly appreciated :)

The lady at the AT&T store didn't know what she was talking about. The whole point behind unlocked phones is that they'll work on any network, not just one, like locked phones. There is no reason why an unlocked phone would not connect to the AT&T network. Did you think about the possibility that the SIM card was defective?