What's new

Unlimited data & iPhone 6..

Justinnn

Reaction score
Hello, so I currently have the grandfathered unlimited, with the rest of my family at 2 GB plan.

My brother just put in a preorder for the iPhone 6, which he agreed to give to me. I was wondering if activating that phone on my account would kill my unlimited data, which I heard it wouldn't, but I would like to make sure.

Also, I was told that I should activate the phone on his line, then transfer the phone to my line. What if I were to activate the phone on my line first? Would it matter? I ask because he will be out of town for a few weeks. Thank you

FWIW.....I just pre-ordered the "straight" 6 from Verizon to upgrade my 5.....and "Unlimited Data" showed up automatically along with details of my original plan for my #.....
Can't really help you with the line transfer question.....I wouldn't think it would make a difference, but that's only a guess here.....

Hello, so I currently have the grandfathered unlimited, with the rest of my family at 2 GB plan.

My brother just put in a preorder for the iPhone 6, which he agreed to give to me. I was wondering if activating that phone on my account would kill my unlimited data, which I heard it wouldn't, but I would like to make sure.

Also, I was told that I should activate the phone on his line, then transfer the phone to my line. What if I were to activate the phone on my line first? Would it matter? I ask because he will be out of town for a few weeks. Thank you

If the device is an unlocked device or a carrier locked device purchased at MSRP (i.e. from VZW.com or in-store at full price), you can activate the phone on your line without forfeiting your unlimited plan. If the device was purchased at a subsidized price (i.e. from a 2 year contract discounted price), and you activate the number on your line, you will lose your grandfathered plan because the device is supposed to be used on your brother's line as the IMEI and ESN will register under his number. There's a mandatory period where the device must be used under the number it was up subsidized under before it can "switch hands", otherwise the person who's number the phone was originally upgraded for will have to pay a penalty fee of sorts IIRC.

TL;DR: As long as a device was purchased at an unsubsidized price, you can carry over your grandfathered unlimited onto that device without issues/penalties. I'd make sure that it's done by a rep directly over the phone or in person to ensure that your unlimited plan is still intact as opposed to self-activating on MyVZW.

Not sure if any of this makes sense. If anything's a little ambiguous, let me know, I'll try my best to clarify off of 6 shots of espresso :p

If the device is an unlocked device or a carrier locked device purchased at MSRP (i.e. from VZW.com or in-store at full price), you can activate the phone on your line without forfeiting your unlimited plan. If the device was purchased at a subsidized price (i.e. from a 2 year contract discounted price), and you activate the number on your line, you will lose your grandfathered plan because the device is supposed to be used on your brother's line as the IMEI and ESN will register under his number. There's a mandatory period where the device must be used under the number it was up subsidized under before it can "switch hands", otherwise the person who's number the phone was originally upgraded for will have to pay a penalty fee of sorts IIRC.

TL;DR: As long as a device was purchased at an unsubsidized price, you can carry over your grandfathered unlimited onto that device without issues/penalties. I'd make sure that it's done by a rep directly over the phone or in person to ensure that your unlimited plan is still intact as opposed to self-activating on MyVZW.

Not sure if any of this makes sense. If anything's a little ambiguous, let me know, I'll try my best to clarify off of 6 shots of espresso :p

Why is this then? Before, you could upgrade and sell that phone.. Are you saying now that Verizon makes you stay with the upgraded phone????

As far as I know, the only thing that changed was the recent loophole closing that forces you to stick with the data plan you choose on that phone number. So, you cannot cancel a data plan. But because my brother upgrades, and he already has a 2GB plan, isn't he free to do whatever with the phone like I've always done for the past few years? You can just sell it outright without any problems..

Why is this then? Before, you could upgrade and sell that phone.. Are you saying now that Verizon makes you stay with the upgraded phone????

As far as I know, the only thing that changed was the recent loophole closing that forces you to stick with the data plan you choose on that phone number. So, you cannot cancel a data plan. But because my brother upgrades, and he already has a 2GB plan, isn't he free to do whatever with the phone like I've always done for the past few years? You can just sell it outright without any problems..
As a condition of being allowed to retain your grandfathered unlimited data plan Verizon does not allow you to use a subsidized phone on the account. After a certain period of time, you can transfer a subsidized phone to your account but the originial subscriber would have to keep paying off his subsidy.

As a condition of being allowed to retain your grandfathered unlimited data plan Verizon does not allow you to use a subsidized phone on the account. After a certain period of time, you can transfer a subsidized phone to your account but the originial subscriber would have to keep paying off his subsidy.
Hmmm... do you know how recent that condition is?
I had a M8 that I assume the previous owner got through an upgrade, and I never lost my unlimited..

So you're saying that Verizon now has a certain time limit you must complete with the phone you upgrade to? So basically selling a new phone you buy through upgrading is impossible now.

I thought once a phone is bought via upgrade, the phone can then be sold as contract-free, since you can still use your old phone and just sell the upgrade.. Which is what I used to do.

Hmmm... do you know how recent that condition is?
I had a M8 that I assume the previous owner got through an upgrade, and I never lost my unlimited..

So you're saying that Verizon now has a certain time limit you must complete with the phone you upgrade to? So basically selling a new phone you buy through upgrading is impossible now.

I thought once a phone is bought via upgrade, the phone can then be sold as contract-free, since you can still use your old phone and just sell the upgrade.. Which is what I used to do.
Nothing new here. It's been about 3 yrs. The restriction is not on what your cousin does with the phone, Verizon just won't let you be the initial one to use that phone on a grandfathered unlimited data plan if the phone was acquired with a subsidy. This is also what Willerz told you. Simply put, Verizon allows you to continue to keep your unlimited data plan as long as you do not upgrade through a subsidy. They condition what phone you can transfer to that account by requiring a time period to have passed before a customer can transfer the unit to you for used on the unlimited account. I believe they want the subsidized phone use on its subsidized account but only they can tell you for how long. They really would prefer you to not have unlisted data and be transferred to a Share data plan.

Nothing new here. It's been about 3 yrs. The restriction is not on what your cousin does with the phone, Verizon just won't let you be the initial one to use that phone on a grandfathered unlimited data plan if the phone was acquired with a subsidy. This is also what Willerz told you. Simply put, Verizon allows you to continue to keep your unlimited data plan as long as you do not upgrade through a subsidy. They condition what phone you can transfer to that account by requiring a time period to have passed before a customer can transfer the unit to you for used on the unlimited account. I believe they want the subsidized phone use on its subsidized account but only they can tell you for how long. They really would prefer you to not have unlisted data and be transferred to a Share data plan.
Hmmm, interesting.
I remember when the iPhone 5 came out, I still had unlimited and I just paid my brother to keep his iPhone 5 and I never lost unlimited.

I'll tread very carefully this time to ensure my unlimited doesn't get screwed with. Thank you guys for the clarification!

i just upgrade to the iphone 6 without loosing my unlimited data. this is how it was explained to me. its a legal loophole. on my original line i have unlimited everything. i had it since my iphone 4, since then i never upgraded because i didnt want to loose my UD. well like normal after 2 years they want you to upgrade and i never did. this only works if you have an upgrade. two ways to do it, but both are just about the same
1. add a line
2. get free phone
3. if you have and upgrade on the original line. "give up upgrade to added line"
4. activate on new line --> deactivate and reactivate to line that has UD

second way is you already have multiple lines and one has an upgrade. at that point you Give away the upgrade to desired line.

my rep, in Houston, said many reps know about it but dont advertise it. hope it helps