What's new

Unfair currency exchange rate used for buying Apps from US dollars to Euros

srgpriv

Reaction score
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I live in Italy, and therefore I am allowed to buy Apps only at the iTunes Store in Italy.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I might accept, even though I do not agree on it, that I am forced to buy only from the ITunes Store in the Country where I live and where my credit cards get issued. However, it is not correct at all that products originally released and sold in US dollars get sold in iTunes stores of Countries using Euro currency (such as Italy) only in Euros and at a currency exchange rate that is much more expensive than the change rate used by the principal credit card companies.

For instance, the App "The Sanford Guide to Antimicrobial Therapy 2011", released in US, has a cost of 29,99 US $ (announced by both the publisher and the US iTunes Store). As of June 29th 2011, the American Express currency converter, which uses the Interbank rate, announces a conversion rate of 1 US Dollar = 0.69871 Euros. Therefore, the right cost of the App mentioned above would be (US $ 29,99 x 0.69871)= 20.95 Euros. Now, the same App is sold in the Italian ITunes Store at the cost of 23.99 Euros, that is 3.04 Euros = 14,5% (!!!) more than the price that American Express (and most other credit card companies) issued in Europe would charge in case one customer would buy the same App at the original price in US dollars (29,99 $).

This is unfair, not adequate to a serious company such as Apple, impairs the company reputation, and surely makes many customers retaining from buying Apps, and pushes them to crack iphones and get free cracked Apps.

I sent this feedback to the Apple, hoping this will contribute to highlight and to set this shame. I did suggest, that iTunes Stores in Countries of the Euro Area sell Apps originally released in US dollars, either using the same currency conversion rate dollars/euros used by the major Credit card companies, or allowing customers to choose to buy the same App in Euros or in US dollars (at the original price of the App).
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]If you agree with my position, please let it know in as many forum you can, and send the same feed-back to Apple (If you want to save time you may copy and paste my feed-back).[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]In the meanwhile, does anybody know how to overcome this imposition by Apple and suggest me how to buy Apps at the US iTunes store, even if I live in Italy ? [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
Best regards.

Sergio
[/FONT]

yeah thats the thing about the us even in the shops they have the prices on the shelves and you get to the counter and they are like thats with out taxes.... why do they do that? lol so you have to sit there working out the price + 12% fromt he shelves

It's a sales tax.... and here in Ohio, it varies depending on which county you are purchasing from. My county's sales tax is 6.5%. The county next to ours is 7.0%. When you order things online, they ask what county you are in and therefore tack on the appropriate amount.

Click here to read what sales tax is used for.

Last edited: