What's new

Unblocked iphone 4s on sprint

Factory unlocked means it will work with any GSM carrier, not CDMA. CDMA is a completely different technology, it's not as simple as just dropping a SIM card in like you do with a GSM carrier.

I thought the whole point of buying a factory unlocked iphone 4s, was so you could activate it on any carrier regardless of the network type CDMA or GSM.

This seems odd as they do make unlocked CDMA phones. Normally they are older flip phones. Also you can take most CDMA smart phones and have them ported to Metro PCS, Boost Mobile or Cricket Wireless. How would that be possible if the MEDI is carrier locked? BTW the above mentioned wireless providers are CDMA.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

No unlocked phones are for gsm like tmobile and all.. So you can pop in your sim card and use. Flashing a phone is completely changing the serial numbers from a current working phone to a non working CDMA phone such as one with a bad esn

I pulled this from slashgear:
Meanwhile Apple will be releasing unlocked versions of the iPhone 4S ranging in price from $649.00 to $849.00 depending on the GB storage you’d like inside. These devices only have access to GSM networks, on the other hand, so they will not work with CDMA carriers like Sprint or Verizon Wireless inside the states.

So if your trying to activate an unlocked iPhone 4S then your would have to buy a Sprint iPhone 4S as the unlocked phone can only be activated on a GSM network. In my opinion, being a CDMA customer, this sucks as it defeats the purpose of an unlocked device. I think it should be possible to buy an unlocked iPhone 4S or any new iPhone, and have it initially assigned to Verizon or Sprint. Then, seeing as you paid extra for a unlocked device, you should be able to jump from carrier to carrier, GSM only, both in the US and internationally. This would bypass Verizon's SIM unlock policy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk