What's new

Unable to hear calls through ear pods or earphones

delboyuk2508

Reaction score
Hi

I have an Iphone XS I bought an adaptor lead to enable me to plug in my earphones in, I can hear music playing but cannot hear a voice call, so just in case the adaptor lead was faulty I bought some ear pods and its the same situation, music plays but voice calls dont. Is there a setting on the phone that needs changing? Oh the calls come through Facebook Messenger, I havn't tried it with a normal call, but surely it shouldn't make any difference.

Many thanks

Hi

I have an Iphone XS I bought an adaptor lead to enable me to plug in my earphones in, I can hear music playing but cannot hear a voice call, so just in case the adaptor lead was faulty I bought some ear pods and its the same situation, music plays but voice calls dont. Is there a setting on the phone that needs changing? Oh the calls come through Facebook Messenger, I havn't tried it with a normal call, but surely it shouldn't make any difference.

Many thanks

It would appear that nobody knows what the answer is in this case, I have read some other posts from different forums and it points to a software issue with this phone which Apple are reluctant to correct as they want to sell thier more expensive accessories.

Sounds to me like the adapter is the common denominator. Not sure what you mean by adapter but if it’s the dongle, Apple sells theirs for $10, not a big cost item. I would bring it and your iPhone and earbuds to an Apple store. They can check the dongle to see if that is the problem.

When the adaptor is plugged into the phone you can charge the phone and plug a pair of standard headphones into it as well, this allows you to listen to music and charge your phone at the same time, and works perfectly well, but unlike the previous iPhone 6 you cannot hear any calls coming through the headphones, you can only listen to music, which means that there is nothing wrong with the adaptor. When a set of bluetooth earbuds are connected it is the same result, no calls are routed through the earbuds only music and the adaptor is not connected. There must be a setting on the phone that needs changing to allow calls to be routed through the earbuds or headphones, but I can't find it, anyone know?

Cheers

Your adaptor may not be able to work on iPhones made after the iPhone 6 as the adaptor has not changed with the evolution of newer iPhones. Again, I would check the adaptor. No, there is no switch in the current IOS settings (IOS15.3.1) that can make a device suitable for an iPhone using IOS 12.4.9 or earlier. More than 7 yrs has passed but while your new iPhone has been developed for current capabilities and technologies, your adaptor is only suitable for devices that are severely outdated. The fault is not in the iPhone but the fact that you are trying to make it work with outdated technology, IMO.

Your adaptor may not be able to work on iPhones made after the iPhone 6 as the adaptor has not changed with the evolution of newer iPhones. Again, I would check the adaptor. No, there is no switch in the current IOS settings (IOS15.3.1) that can make a device suitable for an iPhone using IOS 12.4.9 or earlier. More than 7 yrs has passed but while your new iPhone has been developed for current capabilities and technologies, your adaptor is only suitable for devices that are severely outdated. The fault is not in the iPhone but the fact that you are trying to make it work with outdated technology, IMO.
Hi thanks for your reply, the issue has been resolved with the buds, go to "settings" then "accessibility" then "touch" then "call audio routing" and change the setting from automatic to Bluetooth headset set, and the buds work fine and when not connected the speaker on the phone works fine.